1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Generic, I Don't Like Thread.

Discussion in 'General' started by Mr_Mistoffelees, 26 Feb 2018.

1. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

What’s wrong with puTTy or puTTy connection manager?

2. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

We use putty here. They keep trying to get me to move to Linux but I'm putting up a strong fight.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Are you using Windows' own SSH stuff, or OpenSSH via the Linux for Windows Subsystem? I've used the latter, and it worked fine.

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I think he's referring to the OpenSSH client added to recent versions of W10 as an optional feature. Which is, iirc, flaky by MS' own admission [which is why they don;t make a big deal about it's inclusion/addition].

5. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Yeah putty + xming works well on a Windows pc for me

6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

The slow-ass moronic cretins I have to work with. There's some sort of 'slime thing' happening in the easter holidays, where people can pay to get slimed that they were talking about and how it works, so I said do you get a voice saying "it's looking at me Ray" before you get slimed. Nothing. Just a selection of blank gormsters staring at me. Then after I explained it was from ghostbusters one oik piped up and asked what that had to do with slime. Other than the scene the quote was taken from there was only, you know, THE ENTIE SECOND BLOODY FILM.:wallbash:

Suppose thats you you get from "marketing" Although i use the term lightly, more like 'the team that place orders for signs with only the most vague of design briefs given' team.

IanW and MLyons like this.
  7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Said oik has probably only seen the Rule 63 Ghostbusters movie. Not a lot of slime in that one.

8. The_Crapman

There's loads of slime in that one. They even have a featurette on it

9. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

True enough. No-one called Ray though.

10. The_Crapman

One called Fay surely? With Fegon, Fakeman and Finston.

11. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Fecking stupid names for periods of weather. A north-easterly wind is not a "mini beast from the east", it's just a cold wind. We don't need names, coined by the tabloids, for idiots who have no idea which way is east or north and have no concept of north-easterly.

12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I must be one of those idiots as I have little idea which way is east or west and to be honest have never found a reason to know. A cold wind is a cold wind and if you are living in a city how the hell would you work which direction the wind originated as the buildings make sure it is blowing into my face whichever direction I am walking.

The_Crapman likes this.
  13. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

1709 Windows update has just landed on CBB - so far loving it.

My favourite feature is how my audio driver now has one core pegged at 100%. Well worth it for all of this 3D printing tat I'll never use.

TheMadDutchDude likes this.
  14. RedFlames

Problem with windows?

Is it Drivers?

Yes -> It's drivers...
    No -> Check again, it's probably drivers.

Pretty much every windows feckup i've had, since the days of XP, has been the result of 3rd party code, usually drivers...

15. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

If in doubt - kill first and ask question later.

I killed the runaway service, and I still had audio. After a restart (because no windows update is complete without a thousand restarts) it cropped back up, so I killed and disabled it.

Now it's gone, and I still have audio. Clearly an important service there.

16. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Daaammmn, that's cold.

17. The_Crapman

Took me in the region of 50 attempts to get a recent update to complete on the living room pc. Not even exaggerating, its used most nights and every night for about 2 months, update and shutdown, then wait half hour the next evening for the update to fail. Again. Leaving it to restart and stay on overnight never worked either. Then one Sunday afternoon, it worked without any trickery or swearing or threats of the tip.

In other news, modding/build 'trends'. Tired of having your acrylic lines at either parallel or perpendicular to level, but don't want to sacrifice the straightness and cohesion of being really f'ing boring? Then why not tip thy case to a jaunty angle and marvel at the crazy angles you can create, whilst still secretly lining everything up with the edges of the the leaning hardware. So very dull, so very unimaginative past the first, say, half dozen widely whored ones? If you were to do an isometric one where you could build some false depth and perspective on it, build some other form from it, then great. But a build with chocks under it isn't impressive, especially after the 50th time.

I'm grumpy. Despite being in relatively good mood following news of impending cat addition.

18. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Kill first and ask questions later...? Must be from my part of the world ... you know, there’s a carrot in charge. :)

19. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

What's ****ing me off tonight? Windows' latest update is detecting next to everything as a false positive! Trying to edit a photo in PS and it is constantly popping up with the ****ing virus & threat protection telling me that it has blocked unauthorized changes from my C:/*mylaptop*/Documents.

**** off!

[​IMG]

20. RedFlames

It's not a false positive... it's a feature, albeit one that's off by defualt largely for this very reason.

Either - Turn off 'Controlled Folder Access' if you can [if it's an org managed device you may not be able to] and/or Add Photoshop to the Controlled Access whitelist [again if you can, go pester whoever's responsible for your org's group policies if you can't].

...and blame all the numpties who crippled their work machines with ransomware for the feature needing to exist in the first place.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2018