1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Generic Icons Bug

Discussion in 'Software' started by Agosen, 7 May 2011.

1. Agosen

Agosen What's a Dremel?

Seems to be a common problem however when i did a search i was unable to find a fix, if anyone could help me I'd greately appreciate it.

Now, the issue;

My Microsoft Office, Rossetta Stone and Adobe Reader icons have all been replaced with the generic icon which makes my taskbar look messy.
    I've tried increasing icon cache size with regedit and using ccleaner/windows update but none of those have worked, anyone got a fix that has worked for them?

Thanks in advance

Sorry,

Microsoft Office 2010 (However this is irrelivant I think)

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

open cmd prompt with admin
    taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
    CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
    DEL IconCache.db /a
    shutdown /r
    last will shut down the machine, so don;t be doing anything else. when you start it will create a new iconcache file, hopefully with the correct icons. you might need to do it a couple times.

3. Agosen

Agosen What's a Dremel?

Didnt work first time, attempted to repeat the cmd commands after reboot but

DEL IconCache.db /a

returned: "Could not find IconCache.db"

Anything else to suggest?

Thanks anyhow.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

- Close all programs
    - Uninstall these programs (to break-off the registry file<>icon association)

- Go in the registry, go under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, and delete any file association the programs you have problem with.
    - Repeat the same thing under HKEY_CURRENT_USERS\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts

- Use CCleaner to clean the registry.. once done.. check again..
    - Use CCleaner to clean your system.
    - Restart your computer

- Install one by one each programs.
    As you install each program, make sure there icons are fine before proceeding to the next one.

5. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

open your user folder and type %appdata% into the location bar in explorer, go to local folder. does an iconcache.db file exist? if it does you can delete it from here as well and reboot to try again. sometimes it takes a few times for windows to stop being stubborn and apply the new / fixed icons.
    it can be a pain but it will resolve the icons eventually. i have to do it everytime i rebuild my imageres and shell32 .dlls when i replace all system icons.
    alternately if filetypes lost association you can fix it manually under control panel - default programs - associate filetype with program.

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Don't forget to show Hidden files and folder, and show system hidden folder (See Folder Options, under View tab