1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Gentoo Live CDs

Discussion in 'Software' started by OneSeventeen, 22 Dec 2004.

1. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

I see "Live CD" as the folder name when downloading gentoo, but the ISOs are titled "install"... so, are they Live CDs?

Can I use a Gentoo CD just like knoppix, or do I need to install for a good GUI? And does it come pre-packaged with apps such as Open Office and a good web browser?

While we're on the live CD topic, are there any that are <=210MB so they can fit on those mini CD-Rs, yet have something like gnome/kde?

2. El_Angelo

El_Angelo What's a Dremel?

There is nothing graphical included with the gentoo live cd's... they are mainly for installing gentoo and for recovering failed linux system... (As there is nothing graphical there is no such thing as gnome or kde let alone that there would be openoffice or a webbrowser (well there is a good webbrowser... links :p but it is also not graphical)

3. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

Gentoo's live CD is an install disk for gentoo. All it contains is a framebuffer console, the links console web browser, and a few other tools for installing gentoo.

4. horse

horse What's a Dremel?

Hi OneSeventeen

You can get a Slackware based live distro from here http://slax.linux-live.org/ it has KDE and is about 186mb.

I've tried it and it seems to work quite well, the thing i've not found on it is a 'toram' cheatcode like with morphix.

horse

5. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

The 2005.0 release of Gentoo is going to have a full GUI live thingy. For now, I recommend Gnoppix or Knoppix.

Sam

6. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

Another one that might be of interest.. overclockix, knoppix with geekery extras.. (and cool backgrounds...)

7. Shadowcaster

Shadowcaster What's a Dremel?

You would definately need a guidebook if you wanted to install Gentoo with the Live CD, but it is definately worth the effort. A Stage 3 install (if you read the guidebook included in their site, you'll what I'm talking about) is probably one of the most detailed ways to have your os fit your machine like a glove. Gentoo is definately the way to go pro, but if you lack the patience, yeah, Knoppix or Yoper would be better for you.

8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I think you mean a stage 1 install. Stage 3 just installs pre-compiled binaries like
    most other distros. Stage 1 starts by compiling the compiler. :hip:

9. Shadowcaster

Shadowcaster What's a Dremel?

That's right. Good call. Yeah, the stage 3 and 2 are not even worth the effort. Stage 1 is the way to do it right and effectively.

Tags: