1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux gentoo trials

Discussion in 'Software' started by Woodstock, 10 Sep 2007.

1. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

after mucking around trying to ping bit-tech (modem cant auto detect dns servers(still couldnt)), i decide ill try to partition the 160gb ATA drive, but was quick to discover that fdisk couldn't open /dev/hda, so i ponder and end up poping in a Ubuntu live cd to see what it thinks of the drive, fdisk couldn't open it so i think to myself ill try gparted hopefully that will give a meaning full error to find to labeled as sda, grrrr.... Now to start again

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

try
    Code:
    cfdisk /dev/hda
    But are you sure your HD is primary master? What does the install CD detect upon boot?

3. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

im a lil confused about why but it went fine when using sda. could someone point me in the right direction about make.conf its got me a lil stumped. this is a amd 64 install on a duel core processor

edit:
    is it possible to download packages and compile later, also is it possible to pause a complie and restart the machine, then start the compile a few hours later

Last edited: 10 Sep 2007
  4. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

Might I suggest man emerge? It is possible to download packages and not compile them, but the exact flag escapes me right now.

5. Guerrilla

Guerrilla What's a Dremel?

IIRC /dev/sda is a SATA hard drive, while /dev/hda is typically an IDE device (I think). So if you have SATA drives, they wouldn't be linked to /dev/hda.

6. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

it is not a sata drive thou lol

7. Glider

Glider /dev/null

emerge -f <package>

-f from fetch ;)

8. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

okay and what command to compile later

9. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Portage doesn't do that by default, however Ccache does enable it (without any extra commands, just configure ccache). But tbh, I had limited results with it (and now I don't use it, I just let long emerges do their thing during the night).

Gentoo Wiki guide

10. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

With newer kernels all hard drives are labelled as "sd*" depending on kernel config. My IDE drive is /dev/sda and my SATA /dev/sdb, try ls /dev to see what's in there.

Tags: