1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Germany to ban ze violent games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 8 Dec 2006.

1. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

2. Speedo

Speedo What's a Dremel?

That's just.. crazy.

3. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

thats a bit.. pathetic =\

4. boggsi

boggsi What's a Dremel?

ridiculous, i do hope they banned all violent films, literature and voices inside peoples heads that talk of violence, bring on the thought police

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Great. :( This will affect EVERYONE in the EU. Thanks, German politicians :miffed: It annoys me that the FIRST thing they jump on is violent games, rather than WHY is a kid playing violent games, or the parents or school in the first place, or whether he was mentally attributed to doing it anyway?? I agree with Boggsi. If people are adults, then they should be free to choose. Make it so kids playing violent games, reselling violent games to kids gets the jail sentance.

6. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Would be a bit hard to ban CS:S as it can be bought online via Steam, unless they plan on blocking the ports that certain games use.

Seems to me that this would be very difficult to impliment.

7. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

:D

our politicians here in germany are totally crazy.....

But i would like to know how this works in your (other) countries? Is there an active discussion about games like counterstrike (or real life sports like paintball) and the "violence" within?

8. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

thinking about it, if countersrike leads someone into shooting up their school chums then they were messed up in the head way before video games got anywhere near them =\

9. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

The problem with that law is: Let's say you bought HL2 1 year ago... or 1 day ago. So you bought it when it was legal, you play it and bam! from one day to another you're in jail for playing a game that is illegal to sell, buy, possess AND play. Like the games with Nazi symbols in it... Sure there must be something going on in those politicians' heads... :eyebrow:

10. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

thats exact what i´m thinking too.....

But our politicians think that they maybe were crazy before they get the games.....BUT the games show them the way to let their violent thoughts out.....and beside that they think that those crazy people "train" their real shooting skills with those games....

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well there's no denying it's a form of desensitisation, but 99% of people can differentiate between the virtual world and the real one, and understand that they can't do it in the real one unless they want to go join the army.

You might want to up shop and leave or consider closing down, Choozen: since paintball is also a violent, murder simulator sport.

12. SemiSkimmed

SemiSkimmed What's a Dremel?

Yes god forbid we should query where they get the guns from etc but ban the games!
    Pathetic

13. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

i totally agree with it

yeah i know....here in germany it is often put in the same discussion with CS and other killergames like our politician call them

therefore my question how it is in Gb? Ireland? Scotland? etc..... i now that people in your countries also like playing those games or sports....is there a public discussion like we have? (i think for a few years now)

14. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

This will all swing back round in 20 years when people who grew up with games are in politics. Games will be accepted as a legitimate form of entertainment and not something for children. This has happened time and time again when old people who didnt grow up with something in their life want to ban it because they dont understand it. It happened with rock and roll and violent films. In the meantime sorry to all the germans, hope this nanny state thing doesnt last long.

15. j.rhy@n

j.rhy@n What's a Dremel?

So what they going to do ban TV news as well..

People get hyped up from watching news scenes from IRAQ or Afgan its a similar thing.

They going to Ban kids from playing Cowboys and Indians on the street becuase you might kill some one ? $hit like this happens once in a blue moon and we get jumped on like a their is no tommorow just because some crazed kid cant be brought up correctly.. Blame the parents...

Come on, these communities are small and we are getting picked on.

What next hey...

Their is no way they can Ban games like CS , impossible...

16. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I don't think anyone in the UK really has anything against stuff like paintball, apart from the pain they have after they play :p

In pretty much every city we have some kind of Quazar game (like paintball but with lasers, if you get hit your vest detects it, you can't fire for a while and you get a "death" on your scorecard, it's just like an FPS really).

TBH it isn't really much different than playing cowboys and indians or soldiers in the back garden as children, are they going to lock up children for a year because they go "bang! bang!" at each other?

17. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

Perthetic... :wallbash:
    Its the wrong reaction to the happenings. Germany has a lot of big flaws in its educational and social system that lead to a lot of perspectivelesnes among the youth, especially in social weak familys, but politicans are unable to change that so they search for somebody else to blame ->videogames.

18. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Well actually certain f***wits withing the government have been working tirelessly to get airsoft(that's 6mm bb guns) banned for quite some time. Thankfully more pressing matters like..I dunno, anything..have taken precedence and the government hasn't gotten around to it yet. Don't think they don't want to though. I'm sure they'll find another thing to ban as soon as they've got some free time.

I feel sorry for Germans here. Just another case of people suffering because of other peoples stupidity and misperceptions. The shootings won't stop if they ban violent video games, but I very much doubt anyone will actually bother to say "hold on, the shootings didn't stop, let's legalise them again" because the people who could do that, they just do not care.

19. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

20. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

I love that vid

lol

Tags: Add Tags