1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Getting a Kitten... How much is this ball of fluff gonna cost me?-NOW WITH ADDED PICS

Discussion in 'General' started by Lorquis, 19 Dec 2009.

1. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I've had a cute little cat for a month now. A friend of mine had to give her away, and I figured why not. She's already ~three years old so it isn't remotely the same as a small kitten, but so far I sure haven't been regretting :) Without any extra diseases or other nasty surprises it does not cost much to keep a cat happy.

2. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

being a kitten the most costly thing will be the litter box training you'll have to do.. especially if you have carpet, thats expensive to replace or get steam cleaned. I suggest waiting till its trained to clean up after it with replacement or steam.. Or lock it in a tilled room or something till its trained.

3. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

I'm trying to ignore the things I've read in this thread which I frankly find barbaric, but there we go...

Just to say -100 for dry cat food. It's alright in combination with wet food but should not be used instead of as it will eventually screw up a cat's kidneys. If they're allowed outdoors they tend to eat other stuff which will certainly count as 'wet' food... but a prisoner kitty only eating dried cat food will eventually suffer. The main health problem cats face are kidney/liver problems. It's horrifically fast too as they show no symptoms until it's irreversible and they have to be put down. Also, don't feed them humans food. Cheese screws up cat's kidneys really badly.

My source? Found out the hard way. RIP Purdey :waah:

4. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

both cats my family had when i was younger die of cancer, after some consideration we suspected feeding them whiskers was to blaime

I dont have any proof for that, and one day the sun shines and one day the clouds are out but I fully expect that cat food is not un pair health wise with human food and human food can be a killer some times.

You can aruge back and forth about how silly it may or maynot be to link food to their illness but they both lived loving indoor life styles and the food was the common denomonator.

I miss madam and lucky! mandam reach enlightenment I think with all her mediating on the window sill..

I LOVE CATS, nice home, nice gf and as many cats as possible for the win.

5. AngusW

AngusW mmm

Its a good thing that my cats flat out refuse to eat whiskers then... :eeek:

6. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

MY best mate has house cats.

Why on earth you would want a tub of cat **** in your house 24/7 i have no idea, its minging.

7. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Be Prepared for the cat to steal the best chair in the house aswell.. my cat alwasy does and refuses to move.. he fights you over it or just sits behind you.. But yeah with prices im not quite sure but it isnt that much i think. Food varies as my cat only eats wet its around £3-4 per box of 12 sachets, but he eats like 2-3 a day

8. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

The disadvantage of wet food (gravy/jelly) is that it can be too easy to overfeed them with it!
    Cats are prone to diabetes if fed too much wet food, also learned this the hard way. RIP Jag. :waah:
    (Mind you, he was getting old, but that was the word of the vet)

9. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

The dry food I give to my little predator says "for indoor cats" and costs twice more than the same brand basic cat food. Dunno if it makes a difference, but it says there's some green things included... Wet food also smells like crap, I tried to give her a bag yesterday... She didn't like it so it ended up stinking in the kitchen the whole day.

10. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Ditto. Cats should be allowed to roam. They're not designed to be kept cooped up all the time. I'm not even going to comment on declawing. :grr:

Once thing to remember - there will be times you'll want to cheerfully strangle your cute little killing machine - but the nice times far out time the bad times. And when they bring in their latest kill for you, it's because they're trying to bring you something to eat. It's quite sweet, really. :)

Bob, our cat, adopted us when we visited the RSPCA in Leicester. We couldn't really leave him behind after he did his squirrel dance...

11. quietguy

quietguy D'orc

Also, owning a cat puts a black mark on your man card. Owning a cat wont get it revoked, but you will have to work harder at displays of machismo. :D

12. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

im pretty sure that any women that come over will instantly get the 'awwww-factor' which can be handy.

13. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

having owned several cats over the last decade or 2 (about 4 in total) i have learned that there are couple of things. If you get a female cat and want to have it spayed/neutered do it before the first heat other wise the cost usually goes up. even if you cat is an indoor cat given the chance they will still hide and bolt out the door when they get a chance. I had one that would out the door. then for a split second sit there then realize OMG WTF i'm outside do a 180 and bolt into the house at full speed. Also the quality food will depend on how frequently you change the litter. And finally for every house cat you have you need a litter box as if you don't your changing it every day or every other day. And finally never let your kitten drink from the tap otherwise your cat will need alot of coaxing to get water from any other source. Just my 2 cents.

14. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

15. Ola.l

Ola.l What's a Dremel?

I can't people who de-claw their cats, same with those who cut their dogs tails off.
    If you're really prepared to own an animal you should realise that it is not your "thing" it is a living being with all the pluses and minuses that comes with it.

If you have a large enough breed of dog, you'd know that it is not sufficient. We have a flat coated retriever and even on our 130 square/meter and plenty of playtime, we still need to go for walks. Because staring at the same walls for 24/7 hours a day isn't good for anyone.

Aaaanyways, great job rescuing a cat

16. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

I HAZ TEH KITTEH!!!!

Well I guess this is the time for the obligatory pictures... so here you go... (first three are when the cat was elsewhere, the rest are in my flat)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You may all commence squeeling like me and the lady have been all day :D

mvagusta likes this.
  17. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

adopt that kitten or Bindi will ban you from this place.

18. darkorb

darkorb What's a Dremel?

Ahhhh reminds me of why I loved having cats! So cute :hehe:

19. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Awh.

Nice *****. I would play with it.

mvagusta likes this.
  20. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

:duh: