1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows GFWL

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Coltch, 19 Dec 2011.

1. Coltch

Coltch Minimodder

How many times does this piece of c**p need to update itself?.

Trying to play F1 2011 since yesterday and all I get is "there is an update available...blah,blah,blah".

Grrrr!

Rant over

Sent from Bittech Android app

2. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

As far as I can tell it doesn't work. Any developer who is considering using it should reconsider, many have.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

About a million and one updates. Oh it does end.
    But to keep your sanity together, what I suggest to do, for the best experience with games using GFWL (doesn't mean much, I know), is once you install a game that uses GFWL for the first time, and run it for the first time (no need to the update, just end the game), then what you do is download the latest version yourself and install it, and check for Windows updates.

Once done, run the game, and you should be set. It might do 1 last update process then.

Also note that if you minimize the game during GFWL, it might fail without notification.

Microsoft idea for GFWL is great, but poorly implement, they are pushing too much the XBox 360, and leaving the Windows outside. I remember some interviews when Windows 7 was in the works, that the Game folder was supposed to be evolved from Vista, and feature stuff like notification icon on the game icon when a new game update is release, ability to add your own games, store game stats, and also push game maker to save their FREAKING SAVE FILES, in the SAVED GAMES folder, not dump it in your documents, and go "too bad". How hard is this to implement this! It's just a folder (Save Games). Sometimes I feel like putting my document in "Saved Games", and leaves Documents for saved games. What a freaking reversal world these gaming developers live in.

Code:
    //Pseudo code
    if (os_ShortName != "XP" && os_ShortName != "2000" ) {
       // User OS is Vista or higher
        string savePathFolder = getSavedGamesFolder();
        if (savePathFolder == "undefined") {
             string savePathFolder = getSavedDocumentsFolder();
        }
    } else {
       // User OS is XP or Windows 2000
        string savePathFolder = getSavedDocumentsFolder();
    }

There, now make it happen!

Anyway... That's a shame.

Last edited: 19 Dec 2011
    boiled_elephant likes this.
  4. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

GFWL Does work, works perfectly fine, much better than Origin. Out of the 3 systems, Steam, Origin and GFWL, I have the most issues with Origin, with Steam in 2nd.

Sam

5. pandoraocicat

pandoraocicat What's a Dremel?

hate GFWL only plus point is use my old 360 account. Annoys me with dirt 3 i cant buy dlc on steam have to go to bloody gfwl

6. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Ahh, I love GFWL threads. On no other topic is the bit-tech community so united in agreement.

It really is terrible. Even when it works, it doesn't really work: mine takes about 40 seconds to sign in (my internet is fine), lags and crashes games on a whim, and is really, really slow and bloated to use. It's not really a bug that you could complain to them about, but you sure as Hell feel it - the overlay is just really unresponsive and sluggish. I don't know why.

Oh, and the desktop GFWL client doesn't interact with the in-game overlay in any way. That is to say, if you've downloaded and installed the GFWL client and store, as I have, and then launch it, sign into your account and keep it minimized, when you launch a GFWL game you'll have to open the overlay and sign in again anyway.

Steam made the overlay and client one unified program about 9 years ago, and they were a two-bit company at the time; why didn't Microsoft think to do it?

7. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I went onto the client today and found that in-client browsing has been removed entirely: the 'marketplace' tab now just contains a placeholder telling you to visit the online store. Dumb as bricks, but whatever.

I followed the link to the GFWL store, browsed for a moment, and this happened.

[​IMG]

I'm actually at a loss for words.

Draksis likes this.
  8. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

And if you look at it in the store inside Dirt 3, its something like 3k points, which is certainly not £50. :D

9. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

Meh can't disagree more. Origin works just as well as Steam and is far less intrusive too!

10. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

:hehe: + rep for you sir

11. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Each to their own. Right now, i can't get Steam to work at all, Even though it's not running right now, GFWL will work fine.

Sam