1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ghettobox

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by -Xp-, 15 Jul 2004.

1. Gecko

Gecko What's a Dremel?

That sir, is fecking amazing. Love it :D

2. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

Thanks for the comments, guys, and r3Q: yup, thats the picture.

I woud have updated with the floppy drive instalation, but I've messed it up quite a bit, and cut by finger pretty bad as well (not massive cut but deep and very painful), so don't expect another manically fast update. :(

3. malcolm

malcolm What's a Dremel?

Way cool... original and pleasing to the eye. Could I sugest maybe mixing a little brown paint with some water, or something to thin it out, then dying/browing the twine off to make it look more aged? And you sooo need to make some fake banana tree leaves for the roof... a real regular native hut :D

4. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

haha

nooo you have to paint the bamboo so it looks rusty (hhahaha hl2 ppl)

5. TMM

TMM Modder

wow awsome!
    I don't know what it is about slower computers (P2's and P3's) But i like playing with 'em. Maybe its becuase its no biggie if i a break it :blush: :p
    hehe

It would look awsome if you did a brown paintjob so the parts tie in with the bamboo!

6. JF04

JF04 What's a Dremel?

or just get that paper in old japanese walls and fill that in under the bamboo, i might look nice

7. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

cool, i'm digging the cane, you could go for a nice tropical look with some leaves or something or it'll look pretty tight as it is :D

8. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

This is awesome! :rock:

9. Halgy3000

Halgy3000 Minimodder

That looks cool. Never seen that done before.

10. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha i love the idea of buying things for cheap but that case makes me laugh so hard (in a good way) i love it, when this is done you shouldeter it for "case of the month" at whatever website, i still can't get over that bamboo stuff

ROLF!!!!!

11. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

Thanks for all the noce comments, guys...I realy didn't think anyone would take this seriously (I'm having trouble not laughing at it myself!!)

Floppy drive is mounted. This was slightly more problematic, as I drilled the holes slightly too far apart, meaning that I had to file them into the correct position. I also had work, etc, so couldn't update you guys last night. I also don't have any "during" shots, but the installation is essentially identical to the HDD mounting.

[​IMG]

CD-ROM drive gutted.

[​IMG]

Floppy drive installed Basically, four holes were drilled (in the incorect place), filed (to the correct place), and screws were used to hold the FDD onot the CD-ROM. Masking tape covered the screws to prevent shorts/snagging.

[​IMG]

The drive installed in the case.

[​IMG]

The whole thing up and running. I cabelled it all up, and am running it temprarily. I was rather surprised to find an installation of Mandrake 9 on there, which worked perfectly (HDD was from a completly different PC and had been on a shelf for over a year).

[​IMG]

The backside, showing the connections.

It's only now I realise that I totally forgot to mention the monitor. It's a CTX Panoview 450, which I disected and wrote a disecting guide of on my site. Basically, this thing runs off a molex, and accepts standard VGA input. The max. res of 640x480 is perfect for old skoolage.

Next up is finishing it off, getting it tidied, paper on the walls, logo, painting the insides, and the host of other things.

PS, if linking to guides on other sites isn't allowed by some wacky rule, just shout at me and I'll post the guide here on BiT.

Last edited: 17 Jul 2004