1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Ghosting a cdrom drive [updated pics]

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Yoda, 17 Jul 2002.

1. Yoda

Yoda What's a Dremel?

I slipped and said ghosted drive on this forum I think I figured out how to ghost a drive!!!
    Here is a scan of a sketch of my idea.
    [​IMG]
    If you have any questions post them here.

Has anyone ever done anything similar? :idea: :cooldude:

Last edited: 24 Jul 2002
  2. Yoda

Yoda What's a Dremel?

Is anyone out there?

Wow Nobody has any comments?

No one has done/seen this before?:rolleyes: :D

3. Boggy

Boggy What's a Dremel?

do you mean stelthing? and that sketch is pretty shabby! have a look for drive stelthing on the forums it will help u understand the concept. ;) ;) :D

4. Yoda

Yoda What's a Dremel?

NO.
    this would be hinged at the bottom and could only really be used with a hinge front drive like an HP CDRW etc. The opening door would open the large bay front.:cooldude:

5. Boggy

Boggy What's a Dremel?

dont listen to me i just saw ur other post and i am talking bolox! :D

6. Yoda

Yoda What's a Dremel?

No problem but really if you need more info just ask.
    I need some more feedback on this. Have you ever seen this before?

7. Boggy

Boggy What's a Dremel?

nope cant say i have seen that n e where b 4 and i loked @ ur site and ur a really good at drawing, shame bout that sketch! lol ;)

8. Yoda

Yoda What's a Dremel?

thnx

9. Meblin

Meblin Supposed IR God!

Are you planning on having your door sprung loaded? If so you need to make sure that as the draw gos back in nothing catches in your door.

I have been thinking of a similar method to hide my floppy drive, yes I still need and use a floppy drive :)

Meblin

10. Yoda

Yoda What's a Dremel?

Essentially. I woudl probably use a rubber band or something like that(maybe elastic) to pull it closed.

11. Raven

Raven What's a Dremel?

Hmmm never tried anything like that. I was thinking of doing something similar. Do you have a new revision of your drawings? Hard to understand what your trying to do.

How would you get the drawer to drop without interfering with the CD drive tray?

Would it be easier to use a small motor to open and close the "door"?

How about having the drive itself recessed and use rails to slide in and out? And be hidden by the drive cover that opens?

12. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

The premis is sound. It is like the cd bezels that come with cases now where the door comes down regardless of what model of drive you install. Instead of the little bezel-spring loaded door, you are going to make one using the bay blank... I have seen someone try it with floppy but can't remember who exactly (I may be thinking of Great Old Ones' stealth floppy) did it. The only think I can think of is you will have to remove or adapt the top lip of the blank so it doesn't catch on the drawer when it slides out and back in. I think it is a cool idea. Someone in here was trying to hinge the bay blank and did it but had some complications. If you pull it off, it should be quite the mod!

13. Yoda

Yoda What's a Dremel?

Probably trim the bottom corners also if i am not incorrect.

I was thinking of using the small amount of flex in the hinge/cover to have a button much like a standard stealth. But .....

Might just rewire the switch to a different location. I not there is always the eject command!!:cooldude:

14. Yoda

Yoda What's a Dremel?

New scan on the way soon

edit:: Maybe not Depends on this storm.....

Last edited: 17 Jul 2002
  15. Yoda

Yoda What's a Dremel?

Should have a new set up in the morning. My home scanner is a little bit better than the one at school/work.

I could do some crazy stuff with this if it works. a switch to turn on an led when it opens, a hidden button, lights behind the panel like something is glowing from the inside, who knows......

But I am goint to try and come up with a parts list and then try it this weekend, or early next week. Will get the:cooldude: GOOD Digital Camera and take some pictures.

16. Pflumingo

Pflumingo givem the bird.

I's gotta sumfin like dat, a bit...

[​IMG]

Is what my PC looks like....

It's got some secrets though...

Still and always a Work in progress, here is the stealthed bay bus...
    [​IMG]
    and with a little less flash from the G2
    [​IMG]

all the other (3 other) drives are stealthed with Fiber Optics and new PURPLE Led's...
    :rolleyes:

17. dez

dez What's a Dremel?

:eeek:sooo, ommm... im lost, how'd u get the busbay to put out like that? :eeek:

18. Pflumingo

Guts of an old 2x CDrom, I took the drive gears off the tray, and attached them to a lever (Mounted to the Drive bay itself) it is activated by a momentary switch, which acts like the eject on the CDrom, and is opened by pressure on the upper right of the faceplate...

19. dez

dez What's a Dremel?

wow, amazing job. id REALLY like to pull sumin like that, u explained, but im not getting it fully.

20. Pflumingo

I guess, if you can't figure it out, just punt... I tried about 4 other ways to do it before I came up with this one... It works nice, but the other's should have been in the disaster mods section...

I just have to find something TOTALLY new for the top one... I have no new idea's yet... but I will...