1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other GiantBomb now with added quests! (achievement whores look in here)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Hex, 10 Apr 2010.

1. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

The games review/wiki site GiantBomb now has a quest system. If you haven't seen the site before, it's a little like Raptr. You sign up, add your xbl/psn/steam/wow/twitter/facebook details and it keeps track of your achievements letting you compare them with friends.

The wiki side of it is pretty huge and can be really handy for looking things up, you never know when you might need to make a list of games which contain Scottish accents..! You can find almost anything on there (object/character/location/concept) and then see a list of games/objects/franchises/locations/concepts it relates to.

The quests are like little cryptic quizzes for gamers. You're given a (sometimes really vague) clue and then go on a hunt through the wiki until you find the page that unlocks the quest and gives you xp. It's annoyingly addictive and highly competitive!

Feel free to follow me :)

[​IMG]

But I won't tell you who the hooded blazer is...

Last edited: 10 Apr 2010
  2. backdrifter

backdrifter What's a Dremel?

That's actually quite an inventive little addition to the site! Followed you, and it's given me that nudge to actually sign up :)

3. Hex

Followed you back :)

It's a pretty neat idea implemented well. Will be interesting to see how often they can add new ones. I think I've now got all the quiz based ones. Only action ones left now (writing a blog entry, making lists, etc.)

4. Hex

Just a bump on this to see what people think of this as an idea? (Achievement systems for a website).

I did all the ones I could do in the space of about a day & a half. They've released some every few days ever since which I've completed fairly quickly (although I'll never be in the top #100 as they get released in the early hours over here).

Apart from one which I refused to participate in (and which subsequently got removed as it was encouraging users to spam) I've really enjoyed them. Some have been pretty challenging, but they've got me reading stuff on the wiki and learning about games I'd not played before and remembering ones from my childhood. All in all I think it's been a fun success :)

5. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i think the majority of all achievements are stupid.

in a multiplayer co op i can see them as being handy for giving a group of people something to do but other then that they are non essential and useless, I'd rather someone focused on the quality of thier content as opposed to some shitty excuses to go look at it.

7. Hex

Wheee! Dragged you to the darkside :D

As for achievements being stupid, I completely disagree. I'm not an achievement whore by any means (you can tell looking at my gamerpoints tbh), but I like that there are added incentives in games. It gives me some extra things to do in games where I've finished the main story and really want to continue. I would also say that one of the reasons I don't play much on the wii now is because there's no sense of competitiveness there for me. If the wii had achievements/points I'd probably play more on it.

8. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I'm the same. I buy games for the PC / PS2 / Wii or whatever 'cos I really wan to play them, but when it comes down to it I always get pulled back to the 360 in short order to unlock some more achievements (must be OCD)

Last edited: 24 Apr 2010
  9. Hex

Haha yeah. With games like Portal, I really enjoyed having the achievements because it was a short game and I really wanted to play it some more. Just playing through a few times for no reason would've probably got boring. However, playing it through to finish without taking a single bullet and only entering orange portals gave me a goal. Sadly I really did feel like I'd achieved something when I got those two on Portal: Still Alive :hehe:

I've never really felt cheated out of quality on a game because of achievements. For me they just seem like little extras added on once the game is finished. Like the devs saying "hey, you reckon we could make someone carry that little gnome allll the way through the game just for an achievement?"... well clearly yes, yes they could. I know some people might feel that achievements can be added in to make a game seem longer than it really is, but tbh when they do that it's blatant and if the game's rubbish anyway I won't bother playing it just to spend hours on a rubbish game collecting achievements.

It's also good to remember that at its heart, GiantBomb is an awesome gaming wiki. It's not just about achievements.

10. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Somehow completely missed this thread.

Massive fan of the guys at Giant Bomb, been reading the site since it was just a blog maintained by Jeff Gerstmann after he was fired from Gamespot.

I got massively into the quest system at launch (even prompted me to write a kick ass APB wiki, my first) but my interest has kinda weaned - similar to my experience when Gamerscore was launched on the 360.