1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Giffgaff

Discussion in 'General' started by CrapBag, 11 Dec 2019.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Anyone use Giffgaff.

My lad wants to get a rolling monthly contract and Giffgaff seem to be the best value, hes looking at paying £12 on month which gets him 10gb a month and unlimited mins and texts.

The thing I'm concerned about is whether Giffgaff have a safety buffer, my daughter has one with tesco's and it potentially stops her running up a massive bill.

So has anyone had experience with them?

2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Basically they are a pay as you go SIM, only you can also add on the goodybag which is a block of data/minutes/texts. Once you go over the goodybag's limits, you then use the PAYG credit you have loaded on. You can also optionally manually add another goodybag within the same month if you go that much over - however it's probably better to consider the next size up if your data usage is that high.

If you only load the account with a fiver, and they suggest you to load SOMETHING when you activate the SIM for your out-of-plan usage (such as premium text messaging) then you will only spend over by that fiver when the goodybag limits are used up.

They do send you text messages giving you warnings about usage etc as well. It's pretty good to be honest.

It can be set to automatically top up a goodybag on a set date, and indeed it can load 'credit' at the set date as well. I personally manually load a fiver credit when it gets below £1, and automatically load the goodybag monthly.

I've been using them for years, happy to send you a refer-a-friend SIM, you will get some bonus credit on your first top up (then you can refer yourself to your next child and get a bonus in a rolling wave, etc, if you like it and want to use it more widely).

3. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Do you have to top up as well as pay for the goody bag each month or will that fiver stay on there forever until you are in a have to use it scenario.

4. Zoon

The fiver will stay there until you use it, as long as the SIM is active. The only rule is to keep the SIM active you have to either

1. Use it at least once every three months
    2. Top up SOMETHING at least once every three months
    3. Add a goody bag at least once every three months

For your scenario your boy will be actively using it so this won’t be an issue.

They will also suggest lowering the goody bag or increasing it based on your actual usage. It’s all run quite fairly to be honest. The goody bags were starting to look a bit stingy so they just doubled the data and they’re pretty damn good value again now.

They also give out an extra gig in loyalty after a while too on the £10 so maybe more on the £12?

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

You can add caps to any providers tariff, or do you mean something else.

I have just gone to Smarty (MVNO on three, I have been with 3 for years, I find coverage very good) you get 45Gb of data for £15 (its a boosted 8gb tarrif for a year) with unlimited etc. if you don't use the 8Gb they will pay you back £1.25 for every Gb you have remaining each month to the max of £10.

The also have a 100Gb for £17 again it is only a month on month contract so if you don't get on you can leave, it doesn't have the data discounted bill option.

If you try Smarty let me know I have a referral link, it will get me 1 month and you 1 month free. :)

I have my missus on Sky (o2 like giff gaff), it was £10 a month for 8Gb, unfortunately only 12 month contract but as a low data user the ability to bank data for upto three years should suffice to cover holidays

My other tariff is a 3 completely unlimited everything deal for £18 but that was only offered after getting my PAC and a 12 month contract.

All offer quidco cashback too :)

Last edited: 11 Dec 2019
  6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I'm also on Giffgaff, and can confirm everything @Zoon says.
    The only issue you may have is that there is no "official" support line, support is "crowdsourced" using their own user forum.

7. Zoon

Yeah they have support champions though who are somewhat empowered to fix some things. I’ve never had anything go wrong tbh, and even if you did you can leave immediately and get your PAC code on the website. Their slogan is free to leave, free to stay - or something like that anyway!

IanW likes this.