1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gigabit inside a 10/100 school network

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by customh, 18 Nov 2008.

1. customh

customh conflagration.

I have a room with 2 LAN connections to the school. Me and my roommate use only one of them, plug it into a LAN port of our gigabit router, and the remaining 3 ports are used for our laptops and a server. I want to know how to get gigabit speeds within our room. I want to be able to access the server anywhere on the school network. Do I need routing tables? Bridged connections? I am at a loss.

2. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

I didn't notice any difference between 100Mbps and 1Gbps LAN. When I was copying large files from one PC to another it was almost the same(5M cable, shielded, cross, full-duplex link) - cca 12 - 20MBps(96Mbps - 160Mbps) . Though it might be faster if you have Vista. WinXP has pitiful LAN performance...

You might try using 1Gbps LAN switch and connect LAN devices through it. 1Gbps devices should run at 1Gbps instead of speed of the slowest LAN device(like when you connect them via LAN hub)

3. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

If you run a gigabit router within your room, then the network should run at that speed. What network cards are you using? Accessing the server accross the network may be harder as you will need ot take into account what security measures the network administrators have in place.

RwD

4. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

The best people to ask will be the network techs for the school.

5. Glider

Glider /dev/null

The only ones to ask are the admins...

Tags: