1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Gigabyte G-Power 2 Pro Cooler Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 6 Jul 2008.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Hmm,

Definitely an interesting design, it's a love-or-hate at first sight kind of design. Personally I sorta like it, though maybe a deep jet-black (or carbon fiber?) instead of the bling-bling might have made it look more sexy. It's good to see that Gigabyte is at least making an effort to try and develop a product that provides some level of performance and attempts to make up for the failures of their previous cooler. I dunno, I'm still a Noctua fan (no pun intended) though :p

Interesting read, nevertheless.

3. brinkz0r

brinkz0r New Member

That's a nice cooler. Is it possible to rotate the heatsink 90 degrees? That, with a little modding, would make it perfect for my next casemod :)

4. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus Rule #9

Is it me or do all these heatpipe heatsinks look like they are designed to work best on a horizontal mounted motherboard. I always thought that the way heatpipes worked was the heat rose along their length then the fluid condensed and ran back down under gravity, doesn't seem the most efficient way if they have to be mounted horizontally due to the motherboard being vertical in 99% of PCs now.

On topic though, I agree about the black or carbon shroud idea being a better one, the chrome looks a little cheap.

5. wuyanxu

wuyanxu still wants Homeworld 3

wow, better than TRUE? i bet with a higher CFM fan, or using push-pull config, TRUE is still better.

how is the RAM going to the airflow though, with the CPU heatsink fan sucking air from the vicinity way higher than any RAM will every be.

but i really like its design, the way it will also cool PWM heatsink. shame TRUE doesn't bend like that.

just a thought, why didn't you guys use Abit iP35 Pro as testing board? Abit have sensors on PWM, which can easily tell whether if the CPU heatsink is pushing air flow over PWM to cool them. cos IMHO, that's one of the jobs on CPU heatsink, and i think TRUE isn't doing a good job

6. brinkz0r

brinkz0r New Member

Heatpipes don't need specific mounting, they would even work upside down! Look it up in the wiki if you don't believe me ;)

7. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Yep again...it's irrelevant which way you mount heatpipes these days because they use wicking. The first heatpipes used on motherboards were however very fussy, upside down mounting resulted in a number of dead chipsets.

8. p3n

p3n New Member

Looks like a decent HS - chrome + white background = blargh tho

9. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

Sounds like you're taking the name "pipe" a little too literally there! Heatpipes aren't hollow like water pipes, they're solid bars that use heat conduction to "pipe" the heat along its length from hot areas to cold areas!

10. Bionic-Blob

Bionic-Blob New Member

what? no they're not, they have liquid and little wicks that rise when they heat up.

11. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

LOL.
    If they were solid bars, they might be called heatBARS instead of piped dontchathink? So many wild guesses, yet so few of them get it right...

12. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Did I miss something or isn't the weight of the cooler listed anywhere? The only thing mentioned regarding the weight seems to be "heavy". :)

13. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

yep - The G-Power 2 was only 2 degrees better than the TRUE at full speed. We tested the TRUE using a silent noctua fan. It's still king :)

14. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

front page - 590g

15. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

So I *did* miss it... Thanks!

16. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

FINALLY a company has understood that flaying the heatsink fins instead of stacking higher densities of fins is more efficient (as far as weight is concerned). That way, air is pressed against the fins to resist effects of laminar flow that flat-stacked heatsinks suffer. I'd like to see this principle continued in an evolution of this heatink with flayed fins in front of and behind the fan. It's smart on them that the bottom-most fins flow air over the base.

The ridiculous-looking fan shroud would look better in a smoked aluminum finish (aka black chrome) IMHO.

Tags: Add Tags