1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 4 Oct 2006.

1. Anakha

Anakha Member

Just as a small point in this review, the auto-stepping-down of overclocks wouldn't hurt the HDD (Unless it does a complete power down and restart), as the HDD doesn't stop spinning on warm reboots. Hit the reset button on the front of your PC to see what I mean. All that happens is that the HDD's controller board gets a "Reset" signal over the IDE bus, which'll cause it to re-initialise itself and move the heads to their "Parked" position (If necessary), but not to spin down and spin up the HDD.

And, as an aside, can't they put the ports on the back panel connector closer together? Do those USB ports really need that much space between them? It's not like there's going to be a problem with crosstalk, as both of those metal frames will share a common ground. And tucking the ports in closer together means you can get more ports in the back panel.

I'll see about photoshopping a mock-up so you can see what I mean...

[edit]here's the mockup. It's also got an extra 3 USB ports. Same image size as the original (In the review):
    [​IMG]
    Please forgive the (very bad) photoshopping, but it was a 5-minute thing.
    [/edit]

Last edited: 5 Oct 2006
  2. Tim S

Tim S OG

The hard drive actually spins up and then spins down on a failed POST - the board literally turns off like a power down and then re-initialises itself a few seconds later. Personally, I think that's bad for your hard drives (i.e. unnecessary spinning up/down in quick succession).

They probably can't, because no-one else has gone that way. I think it is to do with the traces and the interference that it would create if the IO devices on the back panel were closer together. You'd just end up with poor signal quality and your sound would probably be affected - most noticeably - because you'd get interference whenever you're passing data across one of the other ports in close proximity.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The top USBs dont fit into ATX spec, too tall. You cant just compress it in photoshop, you have to remember it has to fit in with a rear metal IO plate as well.

4. Anakha

Anakha Member

Those top USBs are a pixel-for-pixel copy of the ones on the USB+Ethernet ports. I did no compression or scaling there. and (admittedly eyeballing it) that section is as tall as the audio output block.

But even if USB was too big, isn't eSATA thinner, and more likely to fit in there?

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Sure I suppose you could try and force some eSATA but ive never seen eSATA above the height of the mobo surface and youve got to route the wires up that high and around the parallel port. I think you're making it far too simple that it really is.

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

It's all down to signal quality and trace lengths - with long traces, you get poor signals, more heat and more inteference (in very simple terms).

Tags: Add Tags