1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Gigabyte H55-UD2H failing POST

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thewelshbrummie, 10 Jan 2012.

1. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

Need some help identifying a problem that developed with my HTPC build - I've rebuilt it as explained below but still having the same problem and the fault occured in it's HTPC incarnation - see my sig for the original HTPC specs.

On Thursday last week it refused to turn on properly - it powered up for about 3-5 seconds and then shut down. It continually attempts to start up and fails until forcing a shutdown by holding the power button down. I assumed it was a PSU failure but having rebuilt it today I'm certain it's something else.

Due to going on holiday for 10 weeks I was going to donate the motherboard and cpu to work, along with the other bits of hardware I've replaced over the years. Today I rebuilt it using the following parts - all but the PSU are bit's I've replaced:

Antec P182
    Intel Core i3 530
    4x 1GB OCZ Platinum @1,333MHz
    Gigabyte HM55-UD2H
    1x 500GB Samsung HDD (5 years old but used as an occassional backup drive)
    Scythe Kama Angle
    Coolermaster GX RS450-ACAAD3-UK 450W PSU

The RAM is rated at 1.8W so I'm aware it may not work with an LGA 1156 mobo if undervolted and have allowed for it not to work in this configuration. I've also tried the build with the 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 that was in my HTPC since that has been fine for 12 months until Thursday.

Following rebuild - same problem. Still refuses to stay on for more than about 5 seconds.

I'm getting all of the Phase LEDs lighting for a few seconds before the system shuts down, which I assume was happening previously. As the mobo and CPU are the only common parts, I'm assuming that one of them has failed.

Note that the 1st attempt to boot the rebuilt rig, it stayed on for much longer - about 10 seconds, enough to provide a picture on the TV we used to test it. Had 3 columns of fuzzy lines going down the screen. It's definitely a major problem but I can't remember what causes that.

Suggestions?

2. trig

trig god's little mistake

i apologize if i missed this, but what bios do you have? need f9 or later for that chip. additionally, i've found the h series to be very picky on ram, if it isn't able to run at 1.5 volts, it won't post...but usually you can at least get into the bios, clock the ram down and lower the volts, just put one stick in for now...

3. thewelshbrummie

No idea on the BIOS revision tbh, I can't remember updating it but it's something I may have done. Having said that, it's been fine with the 530 for nearly 2 years.

Should have added that the Corsair RAM is, assuming my Scan order history is correct, 2 of these - 1.65V max, and they've been fine for about a year. I'll try it with the OCZ memory in my gaming rig listed in my sig since those were the original sticks I used and post back once I've seen what's happened to it.

4. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

I know this is going to sound strange, but test the RAM and then unhook the HDD. I had this happen with two of my previous mobos, one of which I replaced only to find that the replacement suffered the same problem because of a different component.

The RAM was causing the exact same problem as you describe and when the HDD failed, it also caused the system to constantly reboot. I now don't turn off the system.

Andy

5. trig

trig god's little mistake

to be clear, are you getting to the bios screen?

6. thewelshbrummie

No - apart from that one instance the display remains blank.

I've also noticed that within 1s of pressing the power switch to turn the system on the CPU fan stops spinning. The fan is definitely plugged in.

Shielder - I'll give your suggestion tomorrow.