1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gigabyte MA785GMT-UD2H sata drive problem

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by fracmo2000, 3 Dec 2009.

1. fracmo2000

fracmo2000 New Member

I have just finished building pc...

Gigabyte MA785GMT-UD2H
    AMD Athlon II X4 620
    4GB (2GBx2), 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 memory
    160GB WD1600AAJS

... and when I try to install xp operating system the drivers start to load for a few minutes (as normal) then blue STOP screen is displayed with following blue screen STOP message...

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configures and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0X0000007B (0XF78E2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

................... end of blue screen message ..........................

I don't think BIOS is recognising the sata drive correctly, can you advise?
    I have tried another HDD but still same problem, also tried another OS but problem is still there.
    ...when trying to boot for first time there was a SATA Mode message... "SATA is found running at IDE MODE" ... can't remember if I entered Y or N to this, so not sure if this has anything to do with the problem.
    Nothing I do in BIOS seems to help, is this a known problem? can I restore BIOS to factory settings as this motherboard supports DualBIOS, it has two BIOS onboard, a main BIOS and a backup BIOS, but how do I do this? ... any help would be appreciated.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

What BIOS version?

It looks like a memory error to be honest - try the sticks in different slots or a single stick at a time.

3. bobalobmitchell

bobalobmitchell New Member

same here..

I too am having the same problems as yourself. Constant random BSOD with stop message either 0x0000003B, 0x00000024 or 0x0000007E.

I put this system together just this day specs being

Gigabyte MA785GMT-UD2H REV 1.0 (with F3 bios)
    AMD Phenom X4 II 955 Black Edition
    4GB 2-2GB DDR3 Ballistix PC3-10600 CL6,1.8V ram

I'll try swapping out sticks tommorow and see what happens. Could it just be that the memory is incompatible with the mobo?

Can someone also tell me why on post im shown the message along the lines of AMD Data Change.. update new DMI?

Thanks.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

1.8V memory? Have you set the memory voltage that high in the BIOS?

Shouldn't be incompatible.

Gigabyte tried to change your SATA to ACHI from IDE mode. It improves performance, however if you change it AFTER you install Windows, the OS will fail to load and you have to change it back within the BIOS. If you're still installing XP, leave it in IDE mode otherwise you'll have to press F6 as the XP disc loads and install drivers from a floppy drive which is a pain in the arse.

Tbh, I've not previously had much luck with ACHI mode on Gigabyte AMD boards, but that was specifically with a triple core CPU.

5. bobalobmitchell

bobalobmitchell New Member

ah sorry, forgot to mention i was reading from the memory packaging. I haven't adjusted any memory values in the bios, everything was left as Auto.

I can easily reproduce the BSOD by launching many applications in one go and just flooding the memory. It will then soon BSOD. Its happens especially trying to play something like Left 4 Dead.

I left the sata mode to IDE Native. Currently running Windows 7 64-bit. Anytime i tried changing to ACHI it seemed to make the cpu work insanely hard? :confused:

edit:

Went into the Bios and upped the ram voltage to 1.8. Seems to be working ok now after testing a little more..

Last edited: 5 Dec 2009
  6. fracmo2000

fracmo2000 New Member

Thanks for your help with this post, I have only now managed to have another go at resolving this problem...

In the BIOS Setup program, the Main Menu, I chose 'Load Optimized Defaults' to restore BIOS to factory settings and then during POST I got the message telling me the SATA controller is running in IDE Mode .. "SATA is found running at IDE MODE". The MB user manual says press Y to enable AHCI mode, or N to continue in IDE mode. I tried N but system then does not see the DVD drive, so I had to chose the Y option. The system now sees the DVD drive, but I still got the same Stop error screen as before when trying to install XP.

I managed to get my hands on an RC version of windows 7 (just for a trial) and it loaded ok with no problems so that proves the MB and memory setup is ok. Therefore the error must be relating to XP, which is an old OS.

Someone told me that if you want to load an old legacy OS like XP you need to plug your DVD into a specific SATA connector on this MB, only SATA2_4 connector supports legacy mode, so I did this and XP loaded without any problems. I then moved the DVD to another connector afterwards.

Thanks for all the suggestions of help, it was much appreciated.

7. Southern

Southern Lovable Internet Nutcase

Whenever I have seen this motherboard described it says to put in 1.5v RAM, so possibly that could be the problem if your RAM requires 1.8v.

8. Cosmot

Cosmot New Member

Maybe that's the problem?I dont know about this.but also I played around with overclocking since my first PC which I custom built. I found it rewarding until my socket 939 days then it started getting expensive because I got so addicted to it.you can check this website:Computer Components

Last edited: 9 Dec 2010