1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Gigabyte releases Sandy Bridge fault checker

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 4 Feb 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

So is all this does is to tell you which port your SATA devices are connected to? If so then could you not tell by looking at the ports themselves?

3. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

If you've built your own system, then im sure you dont need to bother with something like this, you will already have swapped the SATA ports you are using...

This is for someone who's bought an OEM machine who doesent want to (or know how to) open up their PC....

4. TheQuadFather

TheQuadFather What's a Dremel?

this isnt really aimed at etheir of what you two have said, its for checking if your motherboard which a h67 or p67 chipset has a degradation issue as some do and if it does you can send it back free of charge.

5. I-E-D

I-E-D Minimodder

I have my optical drive on my first SATA II port, my 2 HDD's on the SATA III ports. Thankfully I hardly use my disk drive, so performance degradation doesn't really worry me.

That said, I will be RMA'ing the second they've fixed the controllers.

6. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Good show Gigabyte. Not that I need this utility. Ill just return mine for a new revision board when they are available because I need more than 2 ports.

7. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I believe you've misunderstood the issue, the post above you hit the nail on the head. It just checks which SATA ports your devices are connected to.

The problem is not something which can be quickly checked by software, it's a degradation of performance on a long-term scale which was only discovered during extreme stress testing. They are all physically designed the same way and which ones will fail after years of use is largely up to chance, with 5-15% being reported by Intel. Note that no typical users (IE: Not running at the very limit for multiple hours (days?) of stress testing) have reported being affected, and likely wont for another three years when the problem develops naturally. Because of this long time to develop and random chance of it happening, all motherboards with this chipset can be RMA'd once the updated chipset becomes available.

8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Damn looks like my msi p67a-gd65 is effected.
    [​IMG]
    Does it just effect the sata 2 ports or the hdd's, if it's the ports I'll possibly just get a 4 port sata card, can't be doing with a lengthy time without my rig.
    But then again I'm fairly sure I'll have upgraded by the time the degradation starts to show significant issues if it is an estimated 3 years.

Last edited: 4 Feb 2011
  9. BradShort

BradShort Familyman - Fraggin when allowed :P

All it does, from what i can see, is check if something is connected to the Sata channels 2 - onwards and displays a warning message about it not being recommended . . . well duh . . . Still thanks Gigabyte :)

10. Fordy

Fordy Minimodder

No Sir, what it isn't aimed at is what you just said.

I suggest you read the article - not just the title - next time before, before you comment.

11. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

What's the point. In a couple of months you'll be able to get a free replacement motherboard.
    From the news articles I've read it'll take a year or two at lest for the chips to degrade.

12. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

I'm guessing you have 2 HDD and 1 DVD drive.

Put the hard drives on port 0 and 1 and then put your dvd drive on port 2,3,4 or 5.

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Correct.

Yeah I'd better prioritise the importance of my drives giving them to the sata 3 ports, I currently have 5 hdd, 1 ssd & an optical connected & operating so come to think of it that checking app isn't picking up on the other 2 sata 3 ports. Once I switch my gear into the case I'm working on it'll be 6 hdd, 1 ssd & optical.

I think if I can get the board replaced within like 2 days then I'll do that when/if they offer to have them changed, but if it's like a week or more then I won't bother.

Fairly gutting this news as my 2500k @ 4.5ghz rocks & the temps are ridiculously low :D.

Is it right you can't connect an optical to the sata 3 ports?.

14. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

thats because its only scanning the P67 ports. your other 2 sata3 ports are on a different controller and wont be effected.

currently have just an optical drive plugged into the sata2 ports on my fiancees rig, its been trouble free. it also seems we've been lucky with no weird BIOS related issues so far on the board. everything pretty much just works :clap:

Tags: Add Tags