1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Gigbyte GTX 460 1GB Owners Unite!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blogins, 9 Aug 2010.

1. techhead

techhead Minimodder

i have a bad problem with DPC as well .making some audio formats crackle and and pop .mostly in hd 420p and 720p settings on you tube and msn
    nvidia said that there are going fix this problem in next upcoming drivers.
    as you said gaming is fine and audio play back and video so its not much of a problem

2. mkb

mkb Minimodder

Just ran the program and I'm in the green at around 125 uS average. Just running in the background. I have experienced a couple of BSODs whilst playing BFBC2 with some odd artifacting on one occasion. I put that down to my overclock even though its very mild in comparison to what I had with my EVGA cards in SLI and I had tested the overclock pretty thoroughly with benchmarks. Does make me wonder.

Having just typed that I got a couple of spikes at around 4000uS. What does this prove exactly?

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

New graphics card, driver teething problems by the sounds of it.

Not too worried about this to be honest.

4. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

uS = ?

5. techhead

techhead Minimodder

it seems to be a timing issue when the card idealing on some chipset. it seem to be coming from the display driver it self
    i have done some tests uninstalling some devices and drivers. and the only thing making the high DPC is the display drive. the vid card works fine in windows VGA mode with no DPC issues
    my DPC is about 8000- 9500uS when idealing. but goes to away when playing games which i find very strange
    so i seems like there a bad timing latency when the card is idealing on certain chipsets
    which could have problems with overclocking the card on some chipsets if the timing is off

6. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Perhaps this explains my blue screen around 800-810MHz overclock? But then if I raise it incrementally 1MHz at a time to the 810 mark I can go way up without a problem 10MHz at a time! All seems very odd, a little more hassle but worth it for the extra GPU power. Hopefully the new driver will do away with this method of overclocking the beast.

7. techhead

techhead Minimodder

speaking of new drivers there is going to be a new beta released in the middle of week for the 460 (so nvidia have said)
    may a fix for the DPC problem

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Okay thanks techhead. I wasn't aware it was a problem until you turned up! ;)

9. mkb

mkb Minimodder

I've just realised i've been an utter numpty and I allow you to laugh at my stupidity, I will not hold it against you :D

I was getting about 20*C difference between the top card and the bottom card in my SLI set up and thought to myself this was pretty high. I've been playin BFBC2 and my card temps have been very high on the very mild OC i posted earlier. ie pushing 80*C. I've been experiencing a lot of tearing and artifacting which I thought was extremely odd given the mild OC. I checked the airflow in the case feeling the heat above the case and likening it to a bbq :p Turns out I had my Fenrir fan exhausting air into the case and not throught the heatsink and out the case.

Btw just touched the heatpipe on my top card and almost burnt myself it was so hot. Could fry some eggs on these guys, not that I will try.

Suffice to say that my temps have dropped about 5*C on my top card so the difference has reduced to about 15*C between cards. I'm also going to buy and extra intake fan and place it on the floor of the case pushing air past the exhaust from the GFX cards. Another option i'm looking into is Watercooling the CPU GPU GPU but I will have to buy a new case etc so I'm a little reluctant given that I've only just purchased this rig.

10. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Dumbass! ;)

Might be an idea to fit an exhaust fan to the side panel of that Fractal case. Going to do the same with my Coolermaster 690 II.

11. mkb

mkb Minimodder

I've got it set as an intake atm

12. mkb

mkb Minimodder

13. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

The 259.32 drivers seem to have cleared most errors I was getting. In fact, I can now run the Concrete Jungle benchmark in Just Cause 2 at 880 core and 2000 ram, whereas I could only run it at stock before, with the whql drivers.

14. mkb

mkb Minimodder

After about 2hrs of playing BFBC2 I no longer get any tearing or any artifacting. Hopefully its due to the drivers :)

15. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

The drivers can only get better... fingers crossed!

I just reversed my side panel fan so it's also an intake and the temperatures are much better. Around a difference of 5 degrees and as an added bonus 20 degrees has been trimmed off my MCP! Been fixing my Motherboards Northbridge as I described in this thread.

What temperatures would you be happy maintaining on these GTX 460's out of interest? I know Nvidia say 104 Degrees but that seems a little excessive to me!

16. mkb

mkb Minimodder

well my top card hovers around 75-80*C under full load whereas the bottom card is about 15*C lower on average. I thought the tearing and artifacting could be related to the heat but seems as though it was the driver after all. Would b nicer to get the temps down a little tbh, the top card fan is always at 70% whereas the bottom card fan doesnt seem to go past 50-60%.

I'm using the sharkoon 1000 fans in my case, although they are quiet they dont seem to shift too much air. I've heard good things about the Silverstone Air Penetrator fans but am yet to hear how loud they are. Bit-tech need to do a review asap. A more powerful intake fan on the side panel may help.

17. mkb

mkb Minimodder

Well unfortunately I'm still getting crashing and odd shadow artifacting so the driver doesnt seem to have helped. I'm going to test each card individually and see if there is a weakness in 1 of the cards.

18. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

mkb, the temperatures you quoted above, are you running synthetic benchmarks (FurMark) or actual games when the top card hits 80?

If those are the temperatures whilst gaming then I would suggest things are getting too hot under the hood. In my case I only go above 80 whilst overclocked/overvolted and using a very stressful application such as FurMark Multi-GPU. I don't think simply gaming should even touch those sorts of temperatures.

Have you tried using slots 1 and 3 instead of a 1 and 2 configuration. That might help out with temperatures and any difference in SLI speed would be academic! That would be similar to my 680i setup then so hopefully temperatures would fall in line.

I'm a bit of a Steam whore, so I've tested games like Left 4 Dead 1 which zips along, temps hit 55 on both cards which seems to be the maximum for older games (sticks at 40% fan speed). Newer stuff including Left 4 Dead 2 (see a theme here!) hits 65 and again is smooth but I did need to turn off 'Multi-Core Rendering'. That's a known problem however and seems to make no difference to gameplay. All the games I play seem good so far fortunately.

19. mkb

mkb Minimodder

Just tested each card individually on stock voltages and here's what i got. Card 1 goes to 815/1630/2200 and Card 2 goes to 845/1690/2200. Individually the cards don't go above 60*C.

A little disappointed seeing that 1 card is holding the other back. I will try a lower overclock and see if I can get them stable in BC2. The temps I'm quoting are those from the 1st GPU test in 3DMark Vantage but aren't too dissimilar from those in BC2.

I would try moving one of the cards down to the x8 lane but unfortunately there's not enough room in the case as the PSU blocks any potential for this.

I'm not entirely sure where I go from here. Do I send the slower card back simply on the basis that it doesn't overclock as well? I'm unsure how I feel about that. I will wait for the new official driver to be released next week and see if that has a positive impact. I'm lanning at i40 next weekend so I would have to wait till after then to send my card back if that is what I decided to do.

For the time being I will lower my overclock further over SLI and see if i still get errors and such.

20. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Your disappointed with a 100MHz overclock on your GPU from stock?

Come on, that's really good! Don't get forum jealousy because some cards including your second can hit 845 on stock voltages! As a trend 845 seems to be the best possible on the core at stock and 815 on the other card ain't no slouch either! Also if you're over 7 working days from receipt of that card it'll be a hard sell to return it (Read the Distance Selling Regulations).