1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster Gluing acrylic?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by devilhacker, 1 Feb 2008.

1. devilhacker

devilhacker What's a Dremel?

what's the best to glue acrylic?

- super glue
    -solvent but which? For the nail?
    -Chloroform
    -Silicone

thanks ;)

2. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

The best is to use a solvent cement specifically designed for polycarbonate/acrylic; I would not suggest using nail polish remover or acetone.

3. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

use a solvent cement like weldon 40 or 10

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

If you want to join flat to flat, then use Acrylic cement (used via capilary action) or end to end or end to face, then you'll want Tensol Cement :thumb:

5. lworbey

lworbey What's a Dremel?

I don't remember the name of the one I use, but its a Plastic Cement type glue, not one that comes in 2 parts though but seems to glue all the stuff I need, I'll check the name when I get home if you want? Its a well known name but I can't for the life of me think what it is!

6. devilhacker

ok so for you acrylic cement is the best glue.
    ok thanks a lot but i'm french and i don't kown the french name of "acrylic cement"... :duh:
    nobody know the name of this solvent in french??:blush::blush:

7. lworbey

lworbey What's a Dremel?

Well I'm using this model glue, seems to work pretty well for what I've used it for, sorry not sure what it is in French...

Basically contact adhesives are pretty strong so long as you get one that will work with your type of plastic :thumb:

8. devilhacker

yes i know this model. thanks ;)

and Methylene Chloride is that good??

9. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

Model cement is not the right glue for acrylic; you should be using a water-thin solvent cement such as weld-on #5 or Polycarbonate Cement SC-325

10. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I use weld on #3, but you have to be quick! Everything where you want it - no second chance.
    John

11. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

@devilhacker look out for acrifix....it is the right cement for joining acrylics and i think it should be available in Belgium (normally only ground shipping is allowed, thats also the reason why its so hard to find weldon etc. here in europe)

12. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

I find glueing large flat areas of transparent acrylic is difficult to not get air bubbles though. They look nasty.
    Tensol Cement also Cheesecake

13. lworbey

lworbey What's a Dremel?

Hmm well I've not had any problems with the model cement, why should you not use it?...

Incidentally I was using some Rapid Mitre Fix the other day, seems to work well and sticks fast! Its a 2 part thing, you put the glue one side, spray the other and when you put them together it sticks strong, might be worth a try...

By the way, what is Weld on #3 or Weld on #5, where would you get it because no shops around here have heard of that? :confused:

14. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

Weld-on #5 is a solvent cement that partially dissolves the material to provide a better joint; the model glues just sticks them together, and often results in a off-color film between the parts.

15. lworbey

lworbey What's a Dremel?

Ah fair enough, I suppose it depends if you are using clear acrylic and how strong you want the bond to be, I'll look out for some solvent cement!

16. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

It is manufactured by a company called IPS. Link to their website http://www.ipscorp.com/ I don't know about getting it in UK but it really works well.
    John

17. ClearCaseMan

ClearCaseMan Acrylic GOD

Just go here for some information. there is much info going on here that will harm you rproject more than help it.
    http://www.ipscorp.com/industrial/acrylics.html

if you have a chemical supply store near you. you can get methyl Chloride. it is the primary ingrediant in acrylic glue.

18. 123mccann

123mccann What's a Dremel?

From my Design Technology knowledge, I believe 'Epoxy Resin' should do the job.

19. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

The "proper" acrylic adhesives leave a clear and very thin glue line; poxy resin is OK if you need a lot of gap filling. I've tried making my own cement from perspex bits dissolved in methyl methacrylate, but it's nowhere near as good as the Tensol solvent cement.