1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Going from liquid back to air cooling?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stanley Tweedle, 25 May 2013.

1. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Anyone here done that?

I did it once before but I was so bored after a few months on air cooling that I've been back on liquid ever since. I'm now having problems with my GTX 680... There are no rendering issues and the graphics are artifact free but the Nvidia drivers are crashing numerous times a day regardless of whether I'm in my windows 7 or newish windows 8 install.

Re-seating the EK 680 waterblock has made no difference.

I love how cool my GPU is on liquid but what I don't like is the extra expense. When I bought my 680 last year it was £460 and then £95 for waterblock. It's been problem free until this driver crashing started a month or so ago and it's not related to particular driver versions.

I'm clutching at straws that it may be a piece of software that's running on both my windows that may be causing it? The only common software I have between win 7 and 8 is Chrome (I have ruled out that since even with hardware acceleration disabled on chrome and with chrome not running it still crashes) and Speedfan. I know there can be an issue maybe once in 50 boots of speedfan where it causes the GPU to red-out. Happens very rarely but speedfan starting can trigger it. I've disabled speedfan today and also reduced my cpu overclock just to rule that out.

I can run a burn in test on the 680 for several hours and no issue. The crashes come mostly when the GPU is idle..

VLC is the only other common software I run on both win 7 and 8.

The GPU is well chilled on my water system. 46c full load or less with kombustor and considerably less in game. Idle 27c.

The reason I'm thinking of ditching liquid on GPU is because it complicates things. If my 680 was air cooled I could remove it in minutes and try it in my GF's PC. Liquid cooling makes everything very complicated and risky.

I have a big thermochill PA 120.3 rad and 500mm heatsink tower reservoir. If I ditch the liquid cooling of all GPU in future then I hardly need that size rad and res for a CPU do i.

I do have a single 120 rad spare so I guess I could use that for CPU instead.

My previous GPU (2 x 560Ti SLI) had GPU core waterblocks on them. The GPU before that was a 240 and that was air cooled for the year or 2 I had it so it's not like I absolutely have to liquid cool.

I think I crave simplicity now and liquid cooled GPU's complicate everything.

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Not for a gpu, but I went from a couple of watercooled cpus/motherboards to a H70, and don't mind it at all. Another computer went to a fenrir.

For me since I move my PC in a car multiple times a year (to and from LANs) water cooling just made me nervous everytime I did, never had an issue but the stress, along with making upgrading or anything like that a massive faff made me ditch it in the end.

If you're concerned about noise/performance you can get some half decent aftermarket solutions.

3. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

A decent Aftermarket Solution will do you well. BeQuiet! Dark Rock pro CPU coolers are amazing and there are several GPU heatsinks that do really well. The Arctic Accelero Extreme III is a high end cooling solution, it's expensive but it's very good at keeping a High end GPU cool.

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun. Lover of bit-tech

Try uninstalling Nvidia's hd audio drivers. worked for me and a couple of other people here having driver issues.

5. Stanley Tweedle

My PC has taken over upstairs computer room. Liquid cooling extends outside the PC to the window sil where rad/res and pumps sit. Extreme. I'd probably be ok with a 2 piece water kit on CPU.

I actually hadn't considered aftermarket air coolers at all. I will take a look :)

That's something I haven't considered. I will give that a try too.

The worst GPU for noise I owned were the 2 x 560Ti from MSI. Even one of those things was noisy on air. When I bought the 680 last year for the couple of months it was on air it was pretty quiet on default fan profile.

6. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I had the same issue with the driver crashing on my Asrock Z68 Gen 3. Turned out I had bad PCI lanes. Totally random crashing would occur, load or no load, and I would get really insane lock-ups where the game would suddenly go in super slow motion with crazy reverb audio glitching. Sucks about the hassle with water and all.

Sent from Bittech Android app

7. Stanley Tweedle

Well I'm now wondering if it's related to my 4.9ghz cpu overclock. It's been problem free since last year and nothing about my overclock has changed. System has been stable all day long today since I loaded much lower CPU overclock. Could be coincidence though. So your problem turned out to be bad mobo eh?