1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V "Gold" cables worth the money?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by relix, 25 Aug 2003.

1. relix

relix Minimodder

I don't know how to say this is in English, but audio cables can be in "gold". Is it worth the extra money?

I was planning on buying a 3.5mm stereo male jack to 2x "tulip" (hi-fi in) male jacks, 10m, to connect my PC to my stereo. In gold, it costs 11 euro (£7.6) and normal costs only 3 euro (£2). So is it really worth it to buy the golden one?

Here is a pic of the normal cable:
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of the golden cable:
    [​IMG]

2. RTT

RTT #parp

Generally yes, it is worth paying more for the gold plated cable :)

The other cables are designed to get audio stuff working, rather than delivery quality :)

3. relix

relix Minimodder

Hehe, okay, thanks :D

/me needs to spend more money again :grr: :wallbash:

;)

4. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

The gold connectors are just to stop the ends tarnishing/oxidising over time, which would inhibit the signal a little bit.

A benefit you *may* find with the cable with the gold connectors though, is that the cable itself is thicker and better insulated, so it will be better at carrying the signal. Which means better sound quality, especially with a 10m cable run where there may be a lot of EM interference. Though then again, depending on your sound card and your stereo, the difference may not be discernable.

I'd get the gold myself, so the connectors don't go all manky :) and also the cable itself may be better insulated which may make a difference to sound quality.

:)

5. relix

relix Minimodder

Okay, gold plated one it is then :D

offtopic: notice how you two are in my sig, and I am in your sigs? the coincidence! :worried: :eeek: :hehe:

6. Altron

Altron Minimodder

What i've seen with some cheap cables is that they just enamel the wires and have the positive and negative in the same insulation. That's how you get those thin wires, because you cant fit 2 wires, their insulation, and the outer covering in a diameter that small. The gold ones look like they either have seperately insulated wires or coaxial wires (both are better than the enamel wires, and have better shielding).

The gold wires probably have copper cables, which is better than the (probably aluminum) stuff in the cheap one.

The gold on the connectors has less resistance thna the nickel on the cheap stuff.

Besides, the gold stuff looks sexy.

7. Spiral Architect

Spiral Architect Cooked on Phonics

I paid £20 for a 1m coaxle (spelling) cable to connect my dvd to my amp. I didn't really want to pay that much for it, but i can't fault it.