1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Good case for fitting a 120.3 rad in???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eUphoria, 4 Dec 2004.

1. eUphoria

eUphoria New Member

Just about to start a new project - will be wanting to use a big rad - like thermochill 120.3, probably wanting to mount at top of case - anyone got any suggestions for which cases to use??

Thanks!!

2. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

hmm, without knowing a budget its hard. Any server class case will work, maybe a large chiftec tower if your on a budget.

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I'd say some variant of a Lian Li full tower. PC70 or v2000 types. In either one you may lose one or two drive bays, or with the v2000 perhaps the top (mobo bottom) couple of PCI slots. Maybe not, I haven't measured it and it may fit in without blocking anything. It's ~16" long so centered in a v2000 would give you roughly 4" clearnace on either side. If it was towards the front you could probably fit a dual bay LCD (4x20 or something similar) and not lose any PCI slots. With the PC70 the PSU would probably interfere unless you lose a drive bay although it may fit in the space over it.

A 7077 is also an option, it looks like it would fit without losing drive bays, and the modular bays are really nice (I have a 6077, very cool feature). A v1000 could hold it but it'll be a squeeze, a v1200 is again a viable option (EATX v1000 basically)

4. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

a 120x3 rad would definately fit in the top of a LL pc7x series *IF* you put your optical drives in the first 2 slots from the bottom. I'm actually going to move my dvd drives down there soon when my case gets moved to the top of my desk.

I dont want to have to stand up to switch discs ...

5. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

The Coolermaster Stacker would accomodate that radiator and require very little modification in the process.

6. eUphoria

eUphoria New Member

Thanks for the replies guys! Does this sound a tad too optimistic: fitting the 120.3 into the top of a lian li pc6x series case? Is there enough room between the psu and the front of the case? I know i'd lose the top 2 5.25 bays anyway...

7. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I'm almost certain that you cant do it. i have a 1*120 and an aquatube at the top of my PC60 and its hard up against the PSU.

8. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

well, i have never actually woprked with a lianli PC6x but i do have a antec mid tower and i cant fit a 2x120 rad in between the front of my PSU and hte front of my case. Id be suprised if the lian li is ~120mm deeper. It would also depend on the powersupply your running.

There must be some technical drawings of those cases online somewhere.

[edit] dimensions on the lian li site[/edit]

Last edited: 7 Dec 2004
  9. Risky

Risky Well-Known Member

And radiator (external) dimensions: Remember to allow 25-38mm for fan depth

10. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

u need a full tower or to move the psu....simple as that.

11. FullThrottleRic

FullThrottleRic New Member

It is possible to fit the 120.3 in a PC6x, but on the bottom panel :thumb:

There's not enough room between the PSU and front of the case to fit it up top, but if you remove the HDD rack and are willing to lose 3 PCI slots it'll go at the bottom just about :dremel:

12. scotty6435

scotty6435 New Member

Only pronlem with a bottom mounted rad is that you're going to either suck in mountains of dust or get restricted exhaust... or both :duh:

Tags: