1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink Good, cheap whisky?

Discussion in 'General' started by Strudul, 10 Sep 2013.

1. asura

asura jack of all trades

Glenfidich 12 or 18 - the 15 is a product without a home costing more than the 12 and not tasting as nice.
    Royal Lochnagar 12 - now that's smoooooooth, really is something you could nock back a tumbler full and look like a real man!
    Bowmore 12 - very plesent and smooth, a not too peaty an Isla.
    Ardbeg 10 - more bite to it, and a much more peaty Isla.
    Caol Ila cask strength - it's expensive for a bottle but it's strong and waters down very nicely it's in-between the other two Islas.
    Tomintoul 10 is very nice, a sort of caramel after taste, 14 is the same but more-so and smoother.

The website's s**** but this is my "local" for whisky purchases.

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Caol Ila is probably the only scotch I've managed to do a bottle of in a night and not **** my organs out the next day.

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Everyone's forgetting Auchentoshan 12yo!

It's delicious and reasonable. Their Threewood is amazing too, as is the 18...

4. asura

asura jack of all trades

Never tried it, (or any Auchentoshan - still have much drinking to do :hehe:) their Valinch looks interesting, may have to try a bottle of that at some point...

5. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

The only problem (if you can call it that) with Auchentoshan is that I can drink it like squash...

It's really rather excellent!

6. lava

lava Minimodder

Forgot about that one +1

7. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I really would like to try some of the Japanese stuff. Anyone got any recommendations?

8. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

Echoing what has been said previously, I would consider £25-£50 the range where most of my Whisky spending is.

Favourite tipples include Oban 14 y/o, Jura Origin, I had a lovely bottle of Talisker but not sure which one it was.
    The Jura was probably my favourite, amazing after tones.

9. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

It's Glenfiddich, Balvenie and Kininvie (which is on the same site as The Balvenie).

10. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Suntory Yamazaki 10 year Single Malt is very smooth and I find superior quality than most "Scottish" brands. Their 18 year is very special.

and draksis, care to explain your post?

11. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

12. KidMod-Southpaw

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I think it's safe to say,

"I like my whiskey, like I like my women. All 18+"

14. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Yeah, I recommend you wait til you're old enough :p lol

15. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

10-16 can be a lot of fun too... :worried:

BentAnat likes this.
  16. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

ahahahahaha... I was just about to post something very similar. hehehe :thumb:

17. KidMod-Southpaw

I concur. :worried:

18. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

You would quite rightly be burnt at the stake for heresy here if you even think about adding ice to a single malt :eeek: Ok for a blend if you must but never in the real stuff :nono:

For those going to single malts from blends a drop of water is more or less essential (never more water than you have whisky though) as otherwise it's a little too fiery and you don't really get the full benefit of the flavours. Filtered or spring water only though as you don't want to mar the taste with any of the chemical additives from the tap stuff.

Aberlour 10 year is another drinkable Speyside that's not too pricey (I can frequently get it for around £20 on offer), Laphroaig is my usual choice for an Islay. When I see it I always grab a bottle of the Jamesons 12 year old as it's even smoother than the 7 year old. The Bushmills 10 year old single malt is another I'm quite partial to.

Another I'm very fond of is Penderyn, a Welsh single malt. It reminds me of both Irish and Islay whisky.

OP: I strongly recommend trying a few when you're out and about, many pubs and restaurants have one or two worth a go. Whisky preference is a fairly individual thing and you may find that quite a few of the ones we've recommended aren't to your taste (Islay malts are a prime example as many people find the flavour too strong). As Carrie said cheap and good are rarely combined where whisky is concerned but there are a lot of good choices available in the £30 to £40 range which is where I keep my attention as I can't afford to develop a more refined taste :D

19. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Mind - I add a block or two of Ice to most whisky, but no water.

Yes, even to single malts. Not when I am tasting them, but when I am drinking them.
    Why? Because why the f*** not? It's the same as adding water, but calls the alcohol down a bit, making it less "sharp".
    I have seen glenmorangie's own testers add ice cold water.

At the end of the day, I feel that whatever way you like is the right way, and all the tradition can pretty much suck it.

20. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Sort of off-topic, I have a bottle of Ardberg 10YO at home, unopened. I've had it for a few years, but I just can't get into whisky. And when I do try I tend drink most of a bottle at a time and forget what it tasted like the next day :worried:

Perhaps I should run a prize draw on here for it, with the proviso that winner pays postage (because I'm a pauper unlike TGS). It'd have to be UK only sadly. What do peeps think? It's quite a nice bottle I think.