1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Good free to play MMORPGs?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by sotu1, 21 Oct 2008.

1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Ok....so I'm not happy paying £10 a month for world of crackcraft but I wanna tast of MMORPGs...so what do you suggest? I don't have bucket loads of time and I'd like it to be easy to get into. I'd like to try one of em out at least. Bonus points if it works on my mac but no worries if not!

cheers!

2. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

RUNESCAPE!!!!!

lol.. not really. It was fun until I burned my shrimp...

(I'll Google and see what I can find)

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Guild wars?
    Kingdom of Loathing?

4. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

ROSE Online. :D

(Hellgate London.. lulz)

5. Akava

Akava Lurking...

There is a load of Eastern Asia style MMO's out there that are often free, just gotta find them :S

Other than that I would say Guild Wars is about the only one worth it, but ideally you need to play with a friend.

6. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Mu Online, just don't pay for the game or any seals, the economy to messed up because of duping (but you can say that of most MMO games, hackers, cheats, bug abusers, farmers, rubbish customer support, straight up lieing to customers, etc) but you can still play for free and have fun on MU.

7. _crazy_crazy_

_crazy_crazy_ mi mum say's that i'm special

dekaron 2moons well that's pretty much the games i play lol

8. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

i used to play that, but didn't they limit the level you could reach on free-to-play?

9. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

dungeon runners - for comedy

perfect world - for flying

10. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

No, it's 400 same as pay to play, you just get less experience and drops on f2p, but as I said it not worth paying for due to the lack of support, but it's still fun to play on the free servers. You can use thepay to play higher exp servers until level 60 as well if you just started, free servers 1 to 3, 4 and 5 are silver packer x2 exp and drops, and 6, 7, 8 etc are gold servers x3 exp and drops.

11. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

I love Guild Wars. It's not an MMO, strictly speaking, because the game is instanced to your party. Towns are still massively multiplayer, so you get some interaction, but having an instanced game world means you don't have to wait for quests to respawn and you never run into random player-killers. The chat has excellent filtering, and the way updates are handled is almost transparent during gameplay. The game environment is beautiful and expansive. Because you can add/remove skill points and skills almost at will, there's no way to get trapped with a poor character and be forced to re-roll; at certain points in the game you can even change your profession. There's not much focus on leveling, which means playing only occasionally isn't a huge handicap. Similarly, it's very easy to get an almost-perfect armor piece or weapon (the real trick is getting one with the appearance you want), so all of the effort is in tuning your build rather than tracking down that last perfect item to make yourself invincible. There's also a very powerful NPC system in the expansions (and a tolerable one in the original) so playing solo isn't completely hopeless.

I've been playing Guild Wars intermittently since it came out, and absolutely love it. For as many long breaks as I take from the game, I couldn't afford WoW even if I wanted to play it, but fortunately, thanks to the nature of each game, I find GW more appealing anyway.

12. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

I play Entropia Universe, It is free with a real cash econ. The only problem is that the new player market has completely crapped itself so it is very hard to get cash.

13. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Just tried to get back into Guild Wars after a fairly long abscence (over a year at least), but for some reason my copy of Prophecies (bought on release) is no longer linked to my account... seems as if your inactive for a while your access rights get revoked. Looks like I'm going to have to dig around and find the CDs and hope the Key is with them (and that I can still use it) to get back in :(

14. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Blademrk - you should still be able to play, i have taken a break of over a year before..?

15. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Last Chaos
    Shaiya

Pretty much every game Aeria Games has made.

Don't see what the problem with Runescape is, I think its an excellent game.

16. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

Second Life is alright, if you can stand the furries. Its free, supported on all platforms, pretty good overall. I used to have an account with SL, I just got tired of it. You can build and script stuff, so its pretty cool. Overall i say its 7/10... Just try to stay clear of the furry sims...

17. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

well what I get when I log in is this:

[​IMG]

No game registered and both characters gone.

I've looked for my old discs hoping the key was with them, I found the original cardboard box, manuscript 1 & 2 (The lore & The challenge) but no sign of the double DVD box I put the disks in.

Last edited: 26 Apr 2009
  18. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

19. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

BladeMrk that looks like you were using a trial key and it ran out.

Remember that most Guild wars campaigns get sold with two access keys one that lasts for 14 hours which is also called a buddy key so that you can try and get your friends to play and the other is the full campaign key which lasts forever.

If you post on Guild Wars Guru, Regina the GW community relations manager reads and posts on the forum on a regular basis. Post, what you posted here. if it was a full account, she should be able to tell you what happened and why and if necessary possibly fix it.

20. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Good old GWG.

I was the mod Serafita Kayin for many years there, but life interdicted finally, and I had to step down. Still play a lot, though...

Tags: