1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V good in ear headphones

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by exavier412, 4 Apr 2006.

1. exavier412

exavier412 What's a Dremel?

hey. i'm looking for some good in ear headphones to replace my ipod headphones. i am into music, and like sound quality. i hear good things from the shure in ear headphones, but thats only from advertisements. does anyone use them?

most of the music that i listen to is in 192 MP3.

should i spend $100+ on shure's? sound quality is important. but durability is also important. i want them to last awhile.

thanks.
    -DyLaN

2. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Seinhessier (sp!) - 3 different models in our house atm. I normally find in ear uncomfortable but all the seinnies are dead comfy and sound quality is excellent. Not tried Shure so can't compare.

3. warchild

warchild What's a Dremel?

My vote goes for Shure E2c.
    They are not cheap but, they are a great value and incredible sound.
    ...and the eartips fit perfectly.

4. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Shures sound great but they block all external noise out too. Great for trains, planes etc but not so good for biking or walking around.

The e3cs would be my choice as they are a bit heavier in the low down frequencies.

Other than that, Sennheisers range are pretty good but mine sound awful on my ipod shuffle for some reason. Great on everything else.

5. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

I'm not sure that you need proper IEMs. With the E2Cs, you pay for isolation, not sound. You can get far better-sounding earbuds for far cheaper, but with slightly less isolation, still plenty to be getting on with though. Look at the 'semi-canalphones', those in the image of the Sony EX71 (but not them themselves, they're awful). Here's my ranking of them. To add to that, I've now heard the Audio-Technica CK5 and I can say they're a bit better than the HJE50s, so probably #4 in that list.

To sum up - if you want good sound and decent isolation in a cheap in-ear headphone, get the EP630. If you're in the US, the only place to get them is eBay. I bought a pair off eBay and it was genuine, though there are a lot more sellers nowadays. You could spring for the Sennheiser CX300 which is identical, but you'll pay more for the Sennheiser name.

6. Valo

Valo Minimodder

shure e2 doesnt seem to be worth its price - ex71/51 / ep630/ sharp md33 sound better and their cheaper. but if you have more money to spend gettting iems is not a bad idea. i'd recommend shure e4 and westone um1

7. Kameleon

I'd say the UM1 isn't really worth it but the UM2 definitely is. Otherwise, that's a great summary of my post, apart from the horrible-sounding EX series ;)

8. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

(Ignoring the lovely spam post above which im sure will be deleted soon)

Sony MDR-EX71 have been great for me...

9. Kameleon

My first experience with in-ear headphones was also with the EX71. All I can say is, wait till you hear something better. I couldn't believe that an in-ear in the same form factor, with the same price (or in some cases cheaper), from a different manufacturer could sound so much better. A difference of the same magnitude as moving to EX71s from nasty stock earbuds.

10. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I have Etymotic Research ER-6, and they sound pretty good. In ear stuff takes a bit of getting used to them though.

11. Naked_Dave

Naked_Dave What's a Dremel?

I have the Shure e5c, the main competitors to the Etymotics above. Either are great, depending on what type of music you listen to most, but the cost can be prohibitive.

12. Altron

Altron Minimodder

But DO NOT buy e5cs. The new e500 will be arriving in June, and they are worth waiting for. Same price as e5c, but more comfortable, better sounding, and a removable 'push to hear' thing that is great! It's a goofy box with a mic, pressing a button cuts the music and amplifies the mic, so you can have a conversation without going through the trouble of removing them.

13. Naked_Dave

Harder to get cheap second hand though :)

14. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Alright. Don't buy e5cs new though.

15. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I really don't know why you would want to buy in ear phones second hand. I guess you could buy new seal thingies, but it would just be a bit sick for me.

16. Naked_Dave

With the more high end ones like the e5cs, only the end part actually goes in your ear, and those are disposable, so there are no hygene issues.