1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Good mobile phone deals?

Discussion in 'General' started by Agent_M, 22 Nov 2010.

1. Agent_M

Agent_M Minimodder

So my contract is going to end after christmas and I dont really want to stay with orange as they are expensive for what im getting.
    the best deal I've seen recently is £20 a month for 500 mins 5000 texts and 1gb of internet from 3 with a HTC wildfire. obviously id like to get the best deal but its a mine field with all the dodgy online phone shops.
    so has anyone seen any good phone deals recently? £20 really is my max though.
    thanks in advance!

2. GingerFox

GingerFox What's a Dremel?

I was just about to recomend 3, but it looks you've already found them, they really are best in this price bracket.

3. Agent_M

Agent_M Minimodder

Yeah they do seem to be. I originally got my phone from carphone warehouse so I'm going to go into the local shop and see if they can give me a nice deal whilst switching me to 3

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I'm with three.

What I like: Cheapest, network coverage has got far better in last 6 months, very helpful when I lost my phone.

What I dislike: Not as fast as other networks IMHO, indian call centers (probs same for all operators now)

Despite the above, I'd still recommend them, and I can't recommend HTC/Android enough.

5. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Look I know what people think of cashback deals on the internet, but hear me out on this one. I had a 18 month contract with Orange on www.mobiles.co.uk and it was absolutely fine. If you are unfamiliar with mobiles.co.uk, they are owned by the CPW, offering cashback deals. In my experience, as long as you pay the bill at the end of each month and remember to email the mobiles.co.uk team the PDF bill you'll never have any problems.

Currently I'm on a 24 month contract with Orange (300 mins, unlimited texts, 500MB internet) for a total of £25 after cashback. Yes, that's £25 over the entire 24 months. Also Quido offers an additional £50 cashback on any pay monthly contract on mobiles.co.uk. It also came with a free Samsung Tocco Lite. In the end I sold the phone for £70, which means 70+50-25 = a total net profit of £95 for taking the contract. Pretty nifty if (a) you decide to risk cashback and (b) you can be bothered sending them a PDF bill every 3 months or so. Since (a) I'm a graduate and therefore silly broke and (b) sending the bill only takes 2 minutes to do, the deal is really good from my POV.

Fwiw, I don't work for mobiles.co.uk or anything like that and also be careful with cashback deals as it has been known to go tits up on occasions. Use your common sense and tread lightly. Again I'm just offering my side of the story, nothing more.

Last edited: 22 Nov 2010
  6. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I would second mobiles.co.uk but i don't bother with cash back deals as i can never be bothered sending the bills or claiming the money back. The main attraction though is all the phones are sold unbranded and unlocked so if you go for an android phone you wont have to wait months for the carrier to release OS updates.

7. GingerFox

GingerFox What's a Dremel?

If you go direct through three they normally give you better deals and more phone choice than what carphone warehouse etc can offer.

8. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

I have an unbranded, unlocked Motorola Milestone. The Moto Droid (US) has had Froyo for months, we in Europe/the rest of the world will be lucky to get it this year/if at all.

9. Agent_M

Agent_M Minimodder

Well I've been looking at mobiles.co.uk and it looks like I can get a desire for about 350 total over 24 months after deals/quidco, considering thats less than the phone costs new I think ive found my new phone ^^ unless any new deals come up before christmas