1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Good old Games

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Idioteque, 17 Nov 2005.

1. Idioteque

Idioteque Telephasic Mongoose

Can anyone suggest any older games that'd run on a pentium 2 300mhz with 192mb or Ram and an 8mb ATI Rage?

would quake 3 have trouble running smoothly?

Also what could a p2 300mhz overclock to usually?

2. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

3. [Jonny]

[Jonny] New Member

4. Idioteque

success... got pentium 2 up to 405mhz on completely passive cooling... seriously. my toughbook has no vents or fans to speak of.

anyway quake 3 runs fine at 800x600 but unreal tournament GOTY runs very well at 1024x768

5. mannafig

mannafig Member

Total Annihilation awesome game must play

6. Idioteque

I'm looking for multiplayer games... preferably FPS or racing... or turn based strategy, somehting you can play at a drunken LAN party on my laptop.

7. Silver Shamrock

Silver Shamrock New Member

If you can find it then Ultimate Race Pro will run nicely on your system. I can't play it anymore as it refuses point blank to run on Win XP:( That's assuming you're running Win 98 on that PC?

EDIT hmm thinking about it i don't think it's a multiplayer game. I can't remember! Even if it is you'll probably struggle to find anyone else to play it with.

Q3 is pushing it with that card. Q2 should play ok tho. As already mentioned Heretic is a good game and also worth a mention is Hexen 2, Blood 2 and Redneck Rampage!!!:)

Last edited: 17 Nov 2005
  8. Idioteque

98SE... might install windows 2000 sp4 on it but xp would kill it. I'm relieved from all of XP's bloatware... and surprised by the speed such a meagre system has.

9. ceefer

ceefer New Member

Another vote for Total Annihilation - awesome RTS. I play it on my work computer which has totally crappy onboard graphics and it runs beautifully.

10. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

tbh there are quite a few old games you;d be able to play!

I had my old 233MHz system running Shogun Total War ok and that was fairly hardcore for my system back in the day. Not sure why people suddenly assumed only dos games would work, they were made to run on no more than 3/486s and Red Alert only needs a 486DX66 so all things considered a p2 300MHz will run most of the old classics including the original Half-life (I dont think that needs much more than 133MHz!!)

11. Idioteque

hmm... original half life eh? not really into RTS' at the moment... so give total annihilation a miss...

will be having LAN party games of duke nukem 3d anyway... and quake 2 works fine...

12. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Active Member

You my friend, rock.
    I've been trying to find this, but couldn't think of the name! :)

13. hitman012

hitman012 Active Member

Total Annihilation, enough said.

14. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I remember playing a side scrolling submarine shooting game on my old pcs. You could play co-op and was a lot of fun. IIRC it was in Japanese though.
    Also Interstate 76, but I dont think either were multiplayer. Duke Nukem 3D is always fun though.

15. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

it is one crazy-cool game :rock:

nothing I like more then to play "paintbal" mode. 1% health and about 35% loading times, origional weapons loadout, and a nifty little map my friend made.

Liero-x is also in progress. maybe finished. allows for net play, and better graphics, but I prefer the origional.

www.lierozone.vze.net is a great resource site for the game. Wormhole is a good level editor and then thers that weapon/graphics editor/AI/gameplay editor that goes along with it.

I remember when me and my friends didnt have a net connection. He had 95 installed from floppies on a little box and wed run back and forth from the library with a pucket full of disks snagging zzt levels, liero weapon packs, levels and we tried desperatly to get wormhole. Shame it was a tad over 2MB :sigh: We searched all over for a 2.88BM floppy so we could get the darn thing but of course the library computers didnt have a drive capable of reading a 2.88...... good times

ohh yeah some of the origional jedi knight games (pre-outcast) work pretty well.
    AOE2
    AOE1
    CIV3 (hers where the liquor comes in handy)
    ohh wow... X-Com, UFO defence
    Tyrian...

just spend about an hour browsing dosgames and your set for life.

16. Pballer98c

Pballer98c New Member

17. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Active Member

TA, Duke 3D, Syndicate Wars, Quake...

That was what me and me mates used to play back in the day at the internet cafe thingy, never had a pc in my until a few years after it closed down :waah:

Actually we went one better before getting a "pc", Amiga 500 !!!!!!

My first pc was built by me and my mate, were about 15, was an Intel 166mmx! If I remember rightly we oc'd it to bout 230mhz, didnt even know it was overclocking at the time :D

Oh, even better... I had a Voodoo 1, which I made heatsinks for out tin foil :jawdrop:

Just remembered, lannage round my mates.... Quake 2, Need For Speed 2, Midtown madness 2 with cops and robbers mode obvioulsy, and a bit of jumping session :D

One last thing, there a Duke 3D port to XP, runs really well and you can host join/servers and shite!

You got me reminising now you git :D

18. BioSniper

BioSniper New Member

Tyrian/Tyrian 2000 ;)

19. LockmanX

LockmanX New Member

Specific name of port? Maybe some linkage?

20. doryakov

doryakov New Member

Tags: