1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Good solution for VHS+Casettes to Digital format

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adam_bagpuss, 21 Jan 2011.

1. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

Doing a bit of research for someone i know about the best way to transfer his old home movies and some audio tapes to a digital format such as .vob, .AVI, mp3 etc etc

anyone done this before

looking at it theres tons of devices out there that do this for very little cash so which ones are best.

thanks in advance

2. Foiseworth

Foiseworth Newbie

My mum also recently asked me to do this for her, unfortunately I haven't got round to doing it myself. So +1 for wanting to know the answer...

3. PocketDemon

PocketDemon New Member

These are 2 completely different questions & so i will treat them as such.

1. video transfer

There's a whole host of methods available from the (slightly crappy) standalone DVD recorder to using something like the BlackMagic that's been discussed here which gives pretty fantastic results.

[NB when there's spare cash i'll be buying one so that i can do HD caps as well - though my current method (using miniDV tape) is damn good for SD]

ideally you want to be capturing in DV format avi (the standard for Premiere & other things) as MPEG is considerably more lossy - that way you can edit using a much higher quality orig file format before converting down to MPEG for DVD.

Personally i use Premiere CS5 for editing, TMPGEnc for converting to m2v & wav (as it's possible to max out the settings - historically at least, Adobe Encore gave really fuzzy results) & DVD-Lab Pro for making the DVDs themselves.

2. audio transfer.

All you actually need is a tape deck & a cable to connect it to your sound card... ...& you 'could' use the free things in Windows.

ideally though, you'd want to have a HQ cassette deck with head azimuth adjustment (basically the alignment of heads isn't consistent between cassette recorders) to optimise the sound...

...plus a software package which allows you to remove cassette hum, etc from the recording (& possibly tweaking the sound using an equaliser).

For the latter (& recording) i personally use Adobe Audition 3 (as it's the upgraded version of the excellent Cool Edit Pro), but there are other packages out there.

1+2.

Where there is some commonality is with the need to make sure that you clean the heads of the video/cassette recorder first, fast forward & rewind the tapes a couple of times so that the spools are relatively aligned & evenly tight &, finally, that the quality of the machines & the cables will make a difference.

4. adam_bagpuss

nice answer however adobe is so not an option as i didnt win the lottery last week

i saw this device http://www.maplin.co.uk/vhs-to-dvd-deluxe-341048

im guessing it pretty rubbish though.

im looking for a real solution that doesnt cost me stupid money the cheaper the better but i will pay if its with it up to a point i.e. maybe less than £100

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

I've done it 2 ways before:

1) usb capture to your PC then convert it - Cheap £40 or so. But to get them onto DVD takes an age to re-encode

2) Plug the video in to a DVD recorder - Slightly more expensive but does it in almost realtime but you'd have to rip the DVD's to the PC if you want it on a HDD

With 300 videos to copy to DVD for someone I started with option 1 then went with option 2 for speed.

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

7. PocketDemon

PocketDemon New Member

As with anything, you get what you pay for... ...& you had asked for opinions about the best method... ...not the cheapest (or in fact with any set budget)...

Yeah, wasn't actually saying that you should buy CS5, etc, but simply that that's what i use as my methodology gives excellent results.

Well, i appreciate that it's over your budget, but the BM Intensity is ~£140 new & will give you much better results than anything else either around the same money or cheaper - & apparently comes with its own software that could be used for capturing & whatnot...

& a cheap alternative to Adobe Audition appears to be this, though i've not tried it - just recommended from a quick Google search... ...& there's a 7 day trial so it would cost you nothing to see if it gives an advantage that's worthy of your pennies.

Of course you 'could' just use Windows Sound Recorder - though there's no noise removing option.

8. Foiseworth

Foiseworth Newbie

Thanks for the help PocketDemon, sounds so stupid but I'd completely forgot about using a video capture card/usb thing (was thinking about buying a vhs thing that plugged in via usb like the LP ones you get).

9. PocketDemon

PocketDemon New Member

No problem at all :)

if you are looking at the BM though then do check the other thread as there's some discussion about what the actual compatibility appears to be between the pcie & USB versions of it on different mobos.

10. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

There's always the Dazzle Video Creator. Offloads encoding from your processor and depending which version you get, allows for quite a few different types of connection.

11. PocketDemon

PocketDemon New Member

No, No, No...

Whilst some of their very high end broadcast stuff at least used to be rated (not looked at them for a while), their cheaper options have always been shonky...

For an example proper website review of this particular model, the first one that came up from a quick Google search was this.

if you're going to be spending loads of your life copying things from video across then there's no point in doing it in a half-arsed manner...

...you'll just be disappointed & either have to buy something better or (more likely) will give up on the whole thing.

12. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i used an ion vcr2pc in the past, it was omething i tried, as part of my business, but it takes so much time, i gave up that side and passed those jobs onto a retired gentleman who wanted something to do.

13. adam_bagpuss

hmm BM intensity does look good, is it just video though ?

and i couldnt find any mention of bundled software just that its compatible with nice and expensive programs

14. PocketDemon

PocketDemon New Member

i'm not sure what you mean by 'just video'? Well, on the main page it states -

"Highest Quality Analog Connections

The included break-out cable connects Intensity Pro to all types of analog video and audio equipment. This gives you full compatibility with analog component, NTSC, PAL, S-Video and analog audio."

- plus, of course, it can also capture non-encrypted hdmi...

Okay, that's obviously not what you're attempting to do, but it has that natively & there is always the HDFury that can sit in between the source & the BM for encrypted hdmi.

& whilst it was the 'nice & expensive programs' bit that interested me (the idea of needing to transcode from the source before editing would add an extra lossy stage), according to this page -

"Media Express

Media Express 2.3 is an elegant capture and playback application which works with DeckLink, Multibridge and Intensity. Further information is available in the individual Readme files for Mac OS X, Windows and Linux."

15. adam_bagpuss

oo didint notice that my apologies.

you would think that the product would link some how to the bundled software.

what i mean by audio is can it convert cassette tapes too rather than just say a VHS or camcorder video etc.

16. PocketDemon

PocketDemon New Member

No worries... Even though i'd read it a day or so before, because it's not exactly prominent, it took me a good 5-10 minutes of going back & forth to find the direct quote...

Obviously it's not going to be as 'all singing & dancing' as Premiere or FCP, however it appears to do the basics - & BM are pretty prompt at answering questions if you want to query a specific function.

As to the 2nd point, i really couldn't say whether you'd be better off using the BM or the mic socket on your sound card (or on board sound) for capturing from (audio) tape; not least as i don't know how good your sound card is (or if there's any interference from anything that adds noise, or...)...

...& the only way to be 100% would be to run a quick comparative test & see.

17. adam_bagpuss

lot of food for thought

im liking the idea of the BM intensity pro as the shuttle is a no go due to USB3.0 requirement.