1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google books offers library of downloads

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 30 Aug 2006.

1. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Pretty good way for people that write to get their stuff out there.

I wonder if theres going to be a "My Library" type feature where you can bookmark pages to your account.

3. dire_wolf

dire_wolf Last Of The Dovakhiin

cool stuff, shame most of the stuff i'd be interested in reading is too obscure for even google

(although the entirety of Philosophiae naturalis principia mathematica is on there, i'm glad they've not just stuck to fictional works)

This is quite amusing

Looks like they scanned every page, madmen

Last edited: 30 Aug 2006
  4. Sinner666

Sinner666 What's a Dremel?

This, I think, could be a very handy tool if it takes off and multitudes of books are scanned/typed into the computer for public consuption. Think of the money schools could save on book copies for kids?

5. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

That won't happen, publishers rely a significant amount on text book revenue. They are copyrighted so much its hard to even get photocopies of pages for a class.

6. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

i have hundreds of books and they get expensive for some ofthe rarer ones. i would love a service to download books and put them on say an SD card to insert in an e ink reader if it means i can get it cheaper (since no physical book has to be printed, stored, and shipped)- i think their are some but selection is limited. heck i'd even love to be able to purchase an SD rom card in barnes and noble to just save shelf space.

7. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

So I hit the google books site, and searched for Huckleberry Finn. Google found it straight away, and also took the liberty of highlighting my search terms in the book. On every page. Everywhere the character's first or last name is used, it's highlighted. In the heading on every-other page, and several times within the text on many pages.

*Edit* I guess it doesn't do that if you switch to 'advanced search' and just look for the title...but I'd still like a way to turn the highlighting off quickly and easily.

You mentioned Text Books...which are generally less than 10 years old (you know, unless you don't mind teaching outdated material to our little children). This idea is for novels read in class, and specifically for the older, out of copyright books, so that anybody can already publish them freely without owing royalties to anybody. If book copyright is anything like music copyright, the original copyright period lasts 99 years...but many of the classic novels that kids are required to read in school (Huckleberry Finn, Tom Sawyer, The Time Machine, anything 'by' Homer, etc) will benefit from this new availability.

On the other hand: if you're looking to save money...estimating 4cents/page for a photocopy or laser printed page, I don't think anybody's saving much money by trying to print a 400 page book off at home. The real value would finally come if you had a cheap e-book/e-paper reader or were willing to read on your laptop monitor.

Last edited: 30 Aug 2006
  8. Spacecowboy92

Spacecowboy92 Gettin' Lazy

I couldent download any books, just a blank screen. Otherwise, Its a great service.

9. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

I think this is fantastic. Now im not limited by the collections of some of my libraries. I doubt you will see this for text books any time soon, and quite frankly i would want to, I highlight, and anotate my text books too much, and i like having the physical copy with me, like a little knowledge blanket i can coddle when i feel the need. But novels, and plays that im taking on trips, or reading for fun hell yes i wIll use this, time to brk out the old palm pilot.

10. Irvine

Irvine What's a Dremel?

Sweet...this will be good for last-minute book reports or research papers when the library's closed. Citing a web site or a book...who will tell the difference? :D

11. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

Seems like a good idea, everything else is moving onto the Internet ... why have to lug around 10kg of books, when 1 nice laptop can get all that information :p

12. mandy_modded

mandy_modded Minimodder

90% of the books in my fairly large library collection have been read once, if it's not of the calibre of Asimov/Herbert (dune) etc then most people like myself don't or won't re-read, so the amount of trees destroyed is a shame.

I'd be happy for the "publishers" to limit printing and sell cd/dvd books or make them available online for modest fee, as has been stated the immense costs of printing/distribution, them problem being that the annual monetary turnover would drop, while the profit margin would mostl likely increase, but bean counters would balk at the overall drop in turnover.

Books will still have a place in the world, like online "sampling" of music, if the public like the artist/author then they will go buy the cd's/books.

Having the complete original Dune series and the prequels by Frank Herberts son (and soon to be released final books to complete the original Dune series), i will certainly be buying the books to adorn my shelves with the rest.

Oh, just a thought, the Dune website http://www.dunenovels.com/ has several short stoies online that fill in gaps between the 6 prequel books that Brian Herbert and KJ Anderson have written, these shorts have not been hard copy printed, so some new material is already available

13. konsta

konsta What's a Dremel?

We now really need companies like sony to put more R&D into devices such as their Librie e-ink, which I would buy in a shot if it were affordable and available. Bye-bye to the suitcase full of books when going on holiday.

14. TGImages

TGImages Grandpa

It's not the electronic book that's the problem here, but the method of reading it. An iPod screen is too small. A laptop is a bit large. If you want to sit down and read a good book you just do it. Where ever you want. No worry about power. No worry about a laptop heating your lap.... or trying to read a laptop in bed.

When a device that does for books what iPod (like) devices did for music then the electronic book idea should really take off.

And the idea of printing the ebook kind of defeats the purpose. Most printers only print on one side of the page so now I'll be lugging around twice as much weight of paper vs. just carrying around the book.

15. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

PDAs are perfect for it, and the backlight means you can read in bed easily. And size becomes an issue, you can fit hundereds of books on a SD card, a single Stephen King is far larger than any PDA, even if you buy a £15 junker off ebay just to read off.

I've read a few books this way, I actually prefer it to paperbacks :)

16. draxar

draxar What's a Dremel?

Nice.

Personally I like the Project Gutenburg style - while it can be a bit of work, you can edit and put the text from things in far more places with plain text downloads. I've currently got the Art of War, The Prince, War and Peace, the Communist Manefesto, Beyond Good and Evil, and a few other things from them on my palm PDA, and am slowly reading through.

Tags: Add Tags