1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google IM?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by eddie_dane, 17 Oct 2004.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That's very true, but totally out of my control. I feel my PC is my personal boundary - that's why people have stuff like "XP Antyspy" and we clear spy/malware right?

2. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

lol, wow, people get worked up so quickly! just so ya know i just made my last post to get a rise out of people :p i could actually care less if a machine, or people for that matter scan read or keep copies of my email/messages. i have nothing to hide even IF they did "spy" on me. but i'd never use a google messenger, im on the MSN messenger network (diff client) so i can talk to my friends that left for college. i wont be switching to another unless they all do.

Last edited: 17 Oct 2004
  3. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

ive been reading these threads forever, so im not just a n00b coming and dishing my 2 cents. (added that just for my piece of mind :worried:) but yeah. my only complaint with msn is that the client spiderwebs itself into your system. suddenly its starting and signing in in the background, downloading things without consent, yada yada yada. basically the M$ story. all in all im not against M$, its just the little things they do. as far as reading your email and im's go, do you really believe that your nice little hotmail account, or your AIM IM's cant be read? after all, it still all comes down to servers. best thing you can do is avoid it when you can. i use Mozilla Thunderbird for all email, so anything i decide to save is saved directly on my comp. Firefox as a web browser, because there are way too many IE horror stories, and ive experienced a few. plus, Ff looks cooler :thumb:. Gaim as an IM client. w00t to gaim, btw. so many better functions, options, etc. so, with all the schpiel about privacy, it all comes down to choice. you can choose everything from what OS you install on your computer to what programs you use within it, and what protocol you use, and and and and. power to the people. :rock:

4. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

i once actually used the ads :) someone sent me an email about halloween costumes, and google produced an ad to batman costumes on ebay (cause we were talking about batman). Very useful :)

But theres gonna be **** to pay when the government find out ive been dealing with dodgy batman costumes :p [/sarcasm]

5. Lowsidex2

Lowsidex2 Minimodder

Don't get your undies in a bunch... I assure you I was just joking around. I understand how gmail works and I know a human isn't at a terminal reading my mail. I just think it'd be funny to be online chatting when suddenly 'and now a word from our sponsors' popped up on the screen :D

Wasn't trolling for a flame war.

6. KryoNexus

KryoNexus What's a Dremel?

btw, what was everyone's problem with AIM? I've been using it for years and have never really had any issues with it. of course, now i use trillian to put them all together, and kopete for nix, but regardless, AIM has always been my preferred chat prog. Personally though, i'm a bit tired of all the new IM progs. Everyone has to have one, making my buddy list a complete redundancy. Some people are on my buddy list 5 different times for all of their screennames, even more if they have separate screennames for mobile phones, work, etc. It's getting out of hand fast. IM is becoming what free email was 5 years ago. A new client comes out and the masses rush to register their screenname, regardless if they'll ever even use it.

IMO, just stick with AIM or ICQ

7. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

What kind of targeted ad do you think this email would generate?

Blah - MS is the evil empire, if I can avoid them I will. Yes I am bitter that they put better companies that made better products out of business because they have a better marketing steam roller.

Ditigal Research
    Lotus
    Novell
    Netscape
    Etc
    etc
    etc

8. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

Leather, little people, and vacationing in Arkansas!

:naughty: :thumb:

Tags: Add Tags