1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google introduces cardboard virtual reality rival

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 26 Jun 2014.

1. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

You're telling me you don't already?

I'm waiting for Apple's iteration of the device: "We've reinvented the stereoscope!"

2. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

I think you'll find Apple actually patented this device in the early 16th Century :p

Plus, I saw some rounded edges on that cardboard. Lawsuit.

3. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Hasbro created the My3D for iPhones a few years ago. I guess you could say Apple got there first, in a roundabout sort of way. :p

Edit: Nevermind, I suppose Sony could argue prior art.

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Printed and cut out the template last night - just need to find a decent sized sheet of cardboard and then I'll have a crack this at the weekend.

5. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I had some free time today as well as a bit of cardboard, so I gave this a try. I don't think it works very well. My cardboard may have been a bit thick - though I don't think it was - but I could not get the viewer assembled very well at all.

I printed the template and glued it to the cardboard, then cut out all of the pieces with an X-Acto knife. Right off the bat I figured something was off because the lens holder (the piece on page 1 of the template) was far too thick. I think it has an extra piece. Indeed, if you watch the little animation on the g.co/cardboard page, the lens holder is only 2 pieces thick, not 3 as in the template. I ended up cutting off the right-hand piece just to get it to fit inside the assembly. Regardless, the assembly doesn't come together very well either, and once you double up the top-left piece on page 3 the whole assembly becomes far too bulky to fit together properly. Once I got my phone inside, I just crammed the whole thing together and squeezed it to keep it from falling to pieces.

Admittedly I did this without the proper lenses. I wanted to test it out to see if I could do it without actual lenses because some antique stereoscopes don't necessarily require them either. Unfortunately the phone is held at such a close distance that the lenses are necessary in this case. In the end, I tossed the cardboard viewer, held my phone at arms length, and just crossed my eyes to get the 3D view.

The Google Cardboard app itself was kind of a let down. Of course it's a demo of sorts, so I wasn't expecting anything great, but I think the content could have been better. In the end the whole thing was a bit of a let down.

In summary, I spent an hour this afternoon doing some paper crafting and have nothing really to show for it. :(

6. peepalala

peepalala What's a Dremel?

I want to try Shadowgun VR, but it requires a bluetooth controller and my hands are already full with google cardboard.

Last edited by a moderator: 16 Jul 2014
  7. darknessblade

darknessblade What's a Dremel?

if you're interested:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=285028

i recently started modding mine since i did not fit my phone at all.
    its a tital overhaul.

8. addseo1118

addseo1118 What's a Dremel?

You all shared the great links. It's so helpful.
    Thanks for sharing.