1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Google Nexus 7 Tablet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 28 Jun 2012.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

£400 I should imagine. Google are selling each unit at cost, much like Amazon did with the Kindle Fire, with a view to people buying media/apps from the Google Play store, so you can see why they aren't including things like MicroSD so people can load it with downloaded movies.

That said, while it does definitely support USB-OTG no one has confirmed whether this extends to flash memory (or 2.5" drives). What came out of Google I/O is that people thought it did, but again, no confirmation as yet.

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I think you guys missed what i tried to explain. USB OTG is present on Galaxy Nexus as well, but it is pretty much pointless because you don't have USB storage support. I can connect a keyboard or mouse through the Galaxy SII microUSB to USB cable accessory, but when you connect a flash drive or USB hard drive then you won't see anything, because there is no kernel module for that.

3. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Oooh this looks like a tempting bit of kit. Shame to see such a reflective glass screen though - it is the work of the devil!

Good to see such a cheap tablet with a great feature-list. Should give other manufacturers a bit of a kick to sell cheaper tablets with much better software updates! :)

4. Splooshiba

Splooshiba Minimodder

Reading all this though I'm still a little confused. Will there be any way to use external storage with this tablet at all?

5. Andre_B

Andre_B Minimodder

I just ordered the 16GB model. I couldn't resist.

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

No one knows yet!

7. rollo

rollo Modder

It will depend on a few things

In default more with default rom and kernel it's unlikely

If you can open it up to another rom and kernel then you can.

Still don't think the video market is gonna work for a 7inch screen just too small even apples much lorded iPad is still too small for most people to watch a 2hr movie on, or tablets in general tbh and that is what's been said as the next best thing.

Question for andriod in general

Does sky go and lovefilm/ Netflix have the same blackborder as the iPad version as you lose about 1/2 inch top and bottom of space on an iPad in either app on movies or sport for that matter

8. Splooshiba

Splooshiba Minimodder

Ok, thanks for replying, i really wish it had an SD or micro SD slot, then i could use it for films / music on holiday and things. Looks like il be sticking to my eee PC for now.

9. faugusztin

@Splooshiba: explain me one thing. Nexus 7 got 1280x800 screen, so while you could use a 720p video, it is pretty much pointless to go anywhere higher than DVD quality. And in that quality, you can put ~15-20 movies on a 16GB Nexus 7.

But i guess all you guys want to carry your whole movie and music library with yourself.

10. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I have ordered myself a 8Gb version of this and will be perfectly happy with the 8Gb of storage.

I will simply upload as much music as I can to the Google Play thing so I can stream it whilst I am in work or anywhere where I can get on to a wireless connection, however I will store maybe 1 or 2 albums on it for when I am away from a wireless connection or my phone, doesn't have a good enough connection to use it as a wireless hotspot.

Video wise I will use VLC or something similar to stream the videos over the net to it, so that I again don't have to take up to much space on it and as most video conversion software now has the, preset templates for such devices to convert the video down to small files I again will probably keep some video on it, for such times as I cannot use wireless.

While I was contemplating getting a Ipad the other month I just could not justify the cost for something that will mainly be used at work, and also the size of it was off putting to me as well as I don't need something that big for work.

When I am at home I have my pc for gaming, video editing etc, I have my Tivo box/pc/laptop/phone for Youtube, emails are dealt with on the pc/laptop and phone.

I could have quite easily got away with something like a Ipod touch for what I am I going to use the Nexus 7 for but, considering the price and the spec the Nexus 7 was/is a better choice.

Most reviews that I have seen for this and posts about it round the net are all focusing on the lack of ability to add storage, and the lack of rear facing camera, no hdmi, no flash support etc and are marking it down because of it, but I don't need those features on something like this because if I did need them I would simply just buy a netbook instead.

I am hard to please/impress when it comes to tablets but this has done what the Ipad nearly did and the rest could not, and that is to get me to part with my cash for it.

I think anyone who buys one will be happy with it and to those who are wavering between buying it and not, wait for the full reviews rather than previews and also if you know someone who is getting one then have a play with it and see what you think, about it because there is no point buying something that you are unsure about and then regretting it or not at least giving it a try and never knowing if you should have bought it or not.

11. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Looked up the price in the UK... 199 GBP.
    Checked US price: $199.00 USD. Significantly cheaper (1 GBP = 1.6USD).

Glad I'm going to North America for a few weeks in August. Already have a list of friends in the UK who I will be getting these for when I come back.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

Been confirmed nexus 7 does not support USB storage in default config

Anandtech has the page link

13. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

UK Prices are on Google Play

The 8Gb is £159.99 + £9.99 for delivery

The 16Gb is 199.99 + £9.99 for delivery.

US Prices are

8Gb $199.99

16Gb $249.99

14. Fonne

Fonne What's a Dremel?

15. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

16. faugusztin

17. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Wasn't sure where the play store sold to as it's the 1st time I have used it on a pc rather than for a app on my phone.

18. rollo

rollo Modder

From what I gather it's only been released on day 1 in those countries that is listed on google play site, similar to kindle fire release

Enough I don't get why the eu version can hardly differ from the uk version bar a different plug seems like a wierd decision maybe they don't have enough produced for world wide sales release, enough I have yet to see any advertisement on tv or in shops yet

19. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have been looking for a tablet after getting rid of the Ipad 2 that was a little to big for carrying around if your not in the best of health, also really need something for the better half when she is confined to her bed for a few days every now and then. So this might fit the bill, but I think I would prefer the 16GB,I feel 8GB is just a little to low.

Might wait a while and see what you guys review when you get them though.

20. Fonne

Fonne What's a Dremel?

Your right - REALLY need i decent UK seller that will ship outside UK - 16GB version ...