1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google+ opens to all

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 21 Sep 2011.

1. Crossing

Crossing What's a Dremel?

Facebook has already sold People's information.

2. Kasius

Kasius Bringin' the dremolition

Went from Faceparty > Myspace > Facebook, 3 moves is already 2 too many. We'll see what happens on November 5th with Anonymous :( that might be the clincher for me

3. SpaceBaby

SpaceBaby AKA: Stophon

talk about perfect timeing, with the changes they have made to facebook they will probably get a lot of people who dont like those changes to come over.

4. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

You're looking at it the wrong way. Facebook should be giving you the opportunity to EXPORT everything you're tagged in, which they don't...you can only export what you added yourself.

Neither Google nor anyone else is going to be able to pull off any miracles that the Facebook API doesn't allow - and Facebook are hardly going to do that since it will only fuel further migration away from their social platform.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't want better...and Google+ *IS* better.

5. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Well, maybe export is too strong a word, but I can download any and all pictures I am tagged in. That's something I guess.

TBH, I don't ever expect G+ to be able to do what I think they need. It was just some wishful thinking. FB would do everything in their power to stop that kind of thing, since there is only one reason you would ever need to do it really, and they can't be making that any easier.

Having said that, just a couple of hours ago my brother posted on his fb asking for people on G+ to add him. I didn't realise he had it, so have now actually added a couple of people I have found that have an account, and have had a good look around and added some personal info etc.

And hell; this is a hell of a lot better than facebook. Now I just need my friends on it! Sigh.

6. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick What's a Dremel?

I just need friends. :(

7. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

A million billion users, endless hype about how it's better, and I still don't give a ****.

One social-malarkey-site is enough and FB got there first. That's all there is for me.

8. SaNdCrAwLeR

SaNdCrAwLeR What's a Dremel?

do you have a Facebook account?
    I'd say their customer roll is far worst...
    not to say that they also include advertisers :p

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

It seems that G+ has taken the best parts of both Facebook and Twitter; a nice simple stream of posts, uncluttered with crap from silly games, but also given a framework for friend lists, photos, link sharing, etc.

I much prefer G+ to bookface and have done since I got an invite several months ago. However hardly anybody uses it; many of my good friends do have G+ accounts, but they hardly use it because many of their friends aren't on it.

All I really need from a "social network" is the ability to send links and see status updates/short posts - Twitter fits that need nicely. I hardly ever use things like messaging or events on FB - I'd much rather send someone a text message than an FB message, and if I'm organising something I invite people the old fashioned way - I call them. I'm not really one for publishing loads of photos all the time, but when I do I prefer to upload to my own webservers/galleries and send out links (despite all the content I have on FB).

If more of my friends list migrates from FB to G+, I'll probably start using it more.

10. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

One of the things I would really love is when attending an event it would automatically update my Google Calendar.

11. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Like anything else it's only confusing if you approach it with the mindset that it needs to be exactly the same as Facebook and work in exactly the same way.

Google+ shares similarities, but it's different....that's WHY it's so much better.

The one that gets people all the time is "how do i post on someone's wall?". Answer: you don't. You just make a post and choose who sees it from your circles and to draw that particular person's attention TO the post you "plus" them (like +Roger Rabbit ).

12. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I'm not even going to look at it, that's just how much I care.

13. warpedsky

warpedsky What's a Dremel?

I agree, if you are looking for a copycat of facebook, you are going to be disappointed. But I find Google idea way more innovative.

Don't they need money to support some of the free things they are giving out there... gmail, google calendar, google map, google docs, just to name a few...

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Google+ was great while it was closed to the public, but now? where you can get friend invites from Mom? no thanks...

15. slothy89

slothy89 MicroModder

FB first? Are you for real? Myspace was before FB for one, someone mentioned another site that was before Myspace. And there were many other social networking sites before Facebook too. FB is and much a copycat as G+ is lol..

Anyone else think the open beta is related to the interface change on FB?

16. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

Reading these comments... I thought the Bit-tech readers were more... well, net savvy.
    Anyway.
    Is G+ going to crush Facebook this year? No. Next? No. But long term, FB has every reason to fear Google, they are serious about G+ and G+ already has a very dedicated base of users. And Google already has an enourmous base of Google users and android owners, and G+ is a natural fit for all users of Google services.

I myself, on the day of G+ launch, told everyone on FB, I was dropping that crap like a bad habit and deleting my FB as soon as G+ went open. Well, nearly all my friends are now on G+, mostly only my family is stuck on FB. Upon this announcement that G+ is finally open, I told everyone I am deleting my FB profile. I'm thinking I may delete it on Nov 5 :D

The only people I know left on FB are uninteresting and quite frankly, FB can have them. I find the quality of people on G+, for now anyway, is much higher. I spend twice the time on G+ that I ever did on FB because the discussions on G+ are all so engaging.

Quite frankly, I don't care if G+ overtakes FB or not. In truth, I would prefer the smart people stay on G+ and the rest stay on FB.

17. fredrikrob

fredrikrob What's a Dremel?

I have started using Google+ But didn't got much from it. Friends are using it and adding to there friends. Let's see what happens. But it's getting popularity hope will be famous in coming near future.

18. Pelihirmu

Pelihirmu What's a Dremel?

19. fodder

fodder Minimodder

Ditto.

Tags: Add Tags