1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Google Pay, yes or no?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 22 Feb 2018.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I the interests of fair play: Other methods of electronic payment are available.

I have NFC on my new Oneplus 5t and have installed Google Pay when it occurred to me why is using my phone any easier than using my debit card, what if I lose my phone? It is far easier to call up my bank to get any cards stopped if I lose my wallet but surely with a phone loss I need to access the internet somewhere to close down the account in Google?

So why use it? Please feel free to educate me.

2. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

That'd be a no from me.
    Hell I won't even have an RFID payment card so I'll be buggered if I'm trusting anything to a phone.

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I do enjoy the ease of paying by card but in all fairness it is not a very secure method particularly when for anything under £30 you do not need your pin number. Someone could rack up a fair bit of debt by keeping their purchases under that threshold before you noticed the card was missing.
    A conundrum indeed.

4. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I use it every now and again and it saved my ass once when I left my wallet at work and I had just put in £25 of fuel!

My bank says I'm 100% protected and I think I have a limit on how many uses I have in a day.
    And as I monitor my bank regularly for any transactions I don't know about I happy to move forward with RFID, for now

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Interesting points raised by a guy on another forum.

Lose a card, especially a contactless one and the finder can use it for small purchases without any identification or authentication needed at all.

But if I lose my phone, the finder will be presented with having to provide a PIN or fingerprint before he can use it. At least that is how the security on my phone works and I assume most are set up the same.

So I see losing a phone as losing an expensive piece of technology that the finder might be able to clear down and use as a fresh phone but I don’t see it as a risk to my identity or financial information.

One thing that really does bug me though. Every day on the commute to and from work I see people using phones with wallet style cases. Held to their ears the case is folded open with a nice selection of credit cards and sometimes cash on full display. Talk about putting all your eggs in one basket and then showing everyone where that basket is.

MLyons likes this.
  6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I am away out to do a couple of things one of which is to buy my cats fish so will use the phone and see how I feel. The other thing is to get my duvet service washed but that is a strictly cash transaction, very old school lol.

7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

There's a bizarre amount of guff about on how contactless payments work ("you can just skim a card walking past then steal £30 over and over and drain your account!1!"), right down to the actual technology used (RFID is not involved in any way).

When making an NFC payment, the chip within the card generates a single-use token for use in offline transactions (transactions where the payment terminal does not have a live network connection). Once this token is used, it is no longer a valid payment method, so the maximum a 'skim' attack can ever steal this way is £30. To perform more transactions requires an online terminal, which is a Bloody Stupid thing for a thief to do (it's basically going through identification verification to tell banks and the police beforehand who you are and where you live and what account your stolen funds will be transferred to for easy freezing and return), and for the user to enter their pin into that terminal in order to allow the chip to generate more offline tokens.
    Using NFC via a phone adds an additional layer of protection, as not only do you have to get past the lock-screen barrier for additional payments (or even the first payment if you turn this option on), but the card number itself is tokenised too.

Many banks (e.g. Monzo) issue NFC cards that don't even support Offline NFC transactions in the first place, so only Online terminals can pull NFC payments. Most payment terminal will be Online, as EMV liability can move about if a transaction is accepted without it actually going through the full authentication chain.

TheMadDutchDude likes this.
  8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I see NFC as a great move forward and the phone as a device that can replace your wallet entirely, with the NFC and secure apps you can carry all your cards, loyalty, credit, debit etc. and no longer need to carry cash, cash is a very inconvenient way to pay for anything unless you want to tax dodge. My wallet is packed full of crap I wish I didn't have to carry.

Plenty of security packed into a phone, finger print, pin locking, location tracking etc, once it’s all here of course they will know how and where you are spending, no more dodgy transactions in a foreign country etc, like when your card is cloned as they know you can’t be in two places at once so banking software can lock you down, their is still a lot of backend security. You can also remote wipe your phone the moment you realise. Software on the phones is written such that the battery never completely dies, so you should be able to use it with a ‘dead’ battery and a bit of field powering in an emergency.

Is it infallable, no of course not, nothing is.

I should note that I’ve spent years making NFC IP that is inside phones etc, so I may be a little biased in my view (I no longer work for or have any connection to companies doing this, thanks Hock Tan :( )

Last edited: 22 Feb 2018
  9. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I've never used it, but this is exactly the reason I have it set up.

What? I'm pretty sure I'm not understanding that in the way you mean it.

I'm not up for Google Pay for general use though - given the choice of waving around an expensive and delicate piece of technology, or a worthless piece of plastic in front of a terminal, I'll take the worthless piece of plastic every time.

10. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I have set up Apple Pay on my phone, and having used it only once I’d say it’s less convenient than just using my Credit Card, however where I see the benefit is if I forget to lift my wallet I have a backup.

11. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

i use it when i forget my wallet mainly . i like it tho, and you look like your from the future.

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Yes, but...

Yes, I have it set up, yes i do use it, but i do turn NFC off when not using it.

13. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I have Apple Pay on my phone, only in case I leave my wallet at my desk for lunch, or to get on the tube.

Its there for when im in a crisis, but otherwise I choose not to use it... mainly because the fingerprint scanner on my iPhone doesnt work so I've got tap in my unlock code.

14. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I use it, and quite like it. Pro tip: the £30 limit is just for cards, Android Pay (now Google Pay) and Apple pay aren't constrained to this. I've filled the tank and paid contactless before. It might be dependant on your bank, however.

I find it quicker and easier to get my phone out, and it's arguably more secure as a lost phone can't be used to make payments unlike a lost card which could spend the night in the pub.

It's surpassed cash as my preferred payment method, and I'll even find myself going out without my wallet.

Conveniently, I have it on my work phone as well so I can use that and everything billed to it goes straight onto expenses.

15. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Both.
    Yes to more secure, easy payments.
    No to Google/Apple spying.