1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Google Pixel Lauched

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by freshsandwiches, 4 Oct 2016.

1. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Bought a new 5X for 160 few months back.

Those prices are mental.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

My last phone was a second-hand HTC One M8 which cost me £100, and it was fantastic until the camera died. The sound quality was way better than the Huawei P9, which I only went for 'cos I didn't want another M8 only to have the camera die and 'cos the P9 has a similar dual-lens camera system with the added bonus that one sensor is tailored for monochrome images.

If I didn't want a top-end camera on it, I'd probably have picked up a Moto G4 and saved myself a fortune.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

They're trying too hard to emulate apple, and their prices it seems.

The last expensive phone I bought was a sim free Blackberry Passport. It was £400 and I did nothing but worry about it and baby it because of the high price.

This time around I bought an Oppo Find 7a (1080p not QHD) for £170 brand new sealed in the box and I can be a bit more careless with it which is nice. It's also got pretty much everything you could need in a phone.

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I hear ya! I've got a Moto G (1st Gen, 4G) and it cost me £120. Although the camera is a bit ****, it's otherwise been brilliant, especially for the money. Unfortunately the later-gen Moto Gs seem to have got a bit more expensive, as well as bigger. Shame, as they're now competing around the £200 price point, where the competition is extremely fierce.

5. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Oof. I was intending to move up from the Nexus 6p for Daydream, but due to the loss of the 64Gb option the comparable Pixel XL 128GB is a blistering £820! The 5" Pixel compromises FoV and angular resolution too much for Daydream, and 32Gb just isn't enough storage.

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

As an aside, I cannot abide Google's aversion to the microSD slot :D It's a real pain in the arse, even if you have an Android phone with an SD card (like my Moto G). The stock Google Camera app will absolutely refuse to save to the external storage, so you end up having to move pictures (and especially videos) manually across to the SD card to avoid running out of space on the limited internal storage. Just rubbish.

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I bought a Xiaomi Redmi 3 Pro for £110 from ali express. It only has a Snapdragon 616 but its fine (I don't play games etc) - and the battery is a whacking 4000mah! This is nowhere near 6x the phone.

8. Xir

Xir Modder

That's because hardware developers live in a magical place with superfast wifi everywhere...they don't need storage they've got
    *aethereal voice on* The Cloud!!! *aethereal voice off* and they can "stream" everything, EVERYTHING!!!

Alas where I live, in the real world, in Europe, in the back-and-beyond of east Germany, bandwith costs real money, if it's available at all, and open wifi is nonexistant.
    So local storage rules.

Also Horseys don't poo rainbows here. :eyebrow:

oasked likes this.
  9. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

ridiculous price, and it doesn't look that good imo, no mem card slot too ! (but that's nothing new i guess)