1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google readies Google+ to take on Facebook

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 29 Jun 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Member

2. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Oh how i would love for this to take off...

3. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Integrating into YouTube, gMail, etc is cool and all, but if we thought Facebook is a risk to user Privacy - google sees your mail, your calendar, possibly your work...

Personally, I am ll for the +1 button, but other than that I don't think we need another social network at present.

4. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

5. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Hipster Social Network: Google+
    You're probably not on it.

6. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

If Google+ doesn't have a spamming news stream of friends doing farmville, poker, mafia wars and whatever else rubbish at Facebook I'm sold.

b0ng0 likes this.
  7. Aracos

Aracos New Member

Dammit, just when I thought the social networking fad was slowing down, google get involved.

8. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Unfortunately for you (and me) the popularity of these games among otherwise apparently sane and intelligent people means that Google+ will need to adopt apps or won't entice these people away from Facebook. You may say that's a good thing, but the value of a social network is in its user base, and Facebook is thoroughly entrenched in that regard. A site omitting features used by many on Facebook, however annoying those features may be to others and however slick the new site may be (and, this being Google, you can bet your bottom dollar it will be quick, slick, minimalist and with reasonably well placed, relevant and unobtrusive advertising) isn't going to steal a significant market share.

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

not another one!

on the other hand, bring back Google Wave. that thing actually had a purpose, helped my uni project a HUGE amount. while they are at it, won't mind LaTeX syntax highlighting.

10. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

This! So much THIS! I hate FB and others of its ilk with a passion. My hate recently reached a new level when Steam started to integrate FB. And they're really pushy about it too...

11. Technobod

Technobod Finally bought a desktop :D

If Google had cranked this out a year ago it *might* have stood a chance of being competitive, but now the only way they could make this a possibility now is by offering a total migration tool to convert peoples Facebook's to Google+'s.

Can't see Fb really being happy with that, but the fact Fb is so established means Google will really have to offer something spectacular (which I haven't spotted yet) to get people to switch.

12. mucgoo

mucgoo Well-Known Member

You can already specify specific people and/or groups of people who can access photo folders and such on facebook.

13. mpr

mpr New Member

I'll gladly make the switch... google knows about me more than facebook, yet it would seem my info from google wasn't as much at risk as it has been on FB... sadly I don't think every one I know will jump ship, which means I won't be able to either fully.

14. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

It sounds ok, but FB will now respond with added features and better policies. So I'll stay with FB tbh.

15. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Really? Do we really need Google to do this?.........NO

16. echeb

echeb Member

This should do until Diaspora has a full release or they add Farmville, whichever comes first

17. Byron C

Byron C And now a word from our sponsor

I've had a look at the tour and I quite like the look of it. Right up until the point where I tried to actually sign in to it and it told me I needed an invite.

18. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

19. Gigglebyte

Gigglebyte :3

I don't give it long until they bend over to micro-transaction games.

20. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Wow... Google, I am disappoint.

I enjoy the odd funny thing Google do, but ANOTHER social networking site? No google, get in the corner like the bad dog you are.

Tags: Add Tags