1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google responds to Microsoft's Yahoo! takeover bid

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 4 Feb 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

I like google, but talk about the pot calling the kettle black!!! Didn't google buy youtube and also have a large stake in myspace?!?

3. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Ditto. Google have no right to complain in the slightest considering their power (i.e. monopoly) in their market.

4. KillaHead

KillaHead What's a Dremel?

I'm just tired of everyone yelling monopoly every time Microsoft attempts to do something. At this point all this is (as far as I can see) is an attempt to more successfully take on a competitor. Google's response just appears to be an attempt to maintain there dominate market position without a capable competitor.

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Which of course MS wouldn't ever had done, MS has never levered its position to the detriment of its competitors. To be fair google has a point in some respects, with increased market share in the IM and email side of things and its dominant position in the OS market it could lever Google out of non core areas.

6. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

It is a valid point though - I can't see this merger being a good thing for me, as an internet user. It probably won't affect me so I don't really care, but I just can't see Microsoft bringing anything helpful to the table.

7. koola

koola Minimodder

Google does make a good point, MS would take a very large segment of the internet traffic with this takeover. Thank goodness I'm with Gmail and most other Google services so this would not affect me directly.

8. KillaHead

KillaHead What's a Dremel?

That is my point Google will still be there and still command a sizable lead in the search market so Microsoft acquiring Yahoo although lessening the pool of players does not mean Microsoft is attempting to monopolize the search market they are only trying to better position themselves to compete at this point in time.

9. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

600 pound gorilla, meet 200 ton blue whale

10. johnmustrule

johnmustrule What's a Dremel?

OH NO! my web apps and my PC could finally run in unison with one login guided by the intelligent design of two superior companies. Oh the HUMANITY! Since when was Google the little man? Just yesterday I read Google is the #1 user privacy offender and tragically its the most used search engine too. Its also ridiculous to insinuate that any one company is not trying to be #1 all the time, I don't think MS or even our beloved bit-tech would say they aren't trying to get as much revenue as possible minus the cost of upholding decent business practices. Google needs some healthy, or maybe even overbearing? competition to get it back in line. Conflict creates better products, better services, better internet.

11. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I saw that article and what they said is that Google is the "worst" for privacy not because they were doing anything evil, but because they could be really really evil if they ever decided to be. As for what they actually do with the information, it's been pretty benign. If you'll recall, they were the only one with the cajones to tell the government to piss off.

Speaking of the government, it is (or should be anyway) their role to act as a foil to the capitolistic imparitive of industry. You're right, Google and MS and yahell all have a duty to make money by any means necessary. It's the government's job to oversee this and make sure that the public's interest is maintained.

Personally if this goes through I'll probably switch to Gmail, despite having been with Yahoo for over a decade now. It's really going to depend on how much MS mucks things up.

12. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

You and millions more I'm sure (myself included). I must say that prefer the iGoogle front page (despite its silly name) to Yahoo's "look at what Brittney had for breakfast" page anyway.

13. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

As he said, Yahoo and MS are 2 of the biggest Portals on the web (i don't know if you count Google as a "portal" - tough choice)

Although Google is very popular with its search, its Email was locked for a long time (well, invite only) and i think a substantial number of older users have other email accounts (hotmail, yahoo, etc etc) rather then new fangled Google ones (i bet lots of people have both as well)

So all in all, Google doesn't have a monopoly on search engines, Microsoft doesn't really have monopolies on the Internet
    But, if Microsoft bough Yahoo, what difference would it make, would it be good for competition, standards, users and the Internet as a whole

14. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

google may be right.... but only time will tell.....

15. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

What happens to the BT-Yahoo thing, I assume BT just lose the Yahoo portion to MS? Im not a fan of any large company buying out another large one, I dislike nVidia strongly for it and that was years back. It takes years to make a company as big as Yahoo. If larger companies keep buying eachother out there will be a mass of small and generally useless startups and one or two dominating companies. They will dictate what happens, the small ones will just get dragged along.

The Google buying Youtube thing I do not see as being a problem as they both operate as two separate entities doing different things, I cant see that happening with MS-Yahoo, I think Yahoo will just get phased out with Microsoft gaining the customer base.

16. Paolo

Paolo What's a Dremel?

I have a question - why does Yahoo need to consider *any* offer - either from Microsoft or from their recent talks with Google (http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSN0362915520080204).

It would seem that Yahoo are financially stable as they are and their shareholders see this through speculation about MS undervaluing their share price, what's the problem?

Last edited: 5 Feb 2008
  17. koola

koola Minimodder

Dude, it's a hostile takeover as in when another company offer x amount above the share value and pursue it until the share holders sell.

Tags: Add Tags