1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google sounds death knell for IE 6

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Feb 2010.

1. Risky

Risky Modder

For large companies (I'm a contract developer working in the city) you have a vast stock of internal web apps that will all have to be tested and signed off on the new browser before you can upgrade. They will get there (my current client is on an XPSP3+IE7 setup, but it's a slow process. Often the OS Update skips a release (WinNT to XP) as the new platform is a big cost.

2. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Company's that after 10 years of IE6 still need to 'test' for a upgrade browser are dumb, especially their IT department. It's the most insecure browser in the world.

3. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Our school uses IE6 as well. It's been locked down to prevent kids from changing fonts and moving bits around; basically buggering machines up for themselves and everyone else. It's all fun and games until they're presented with an online test and they've set their font to Wingdings.

IE8 will be going on the system at the end of the week, then we'll set up policies for student users next week on the test machines.

TBH, I'll just be glad when we don't have to add <!--[if lte IE 6]> to web pages to get them to work.

4. Risky

Risky Modder

I'm not sure many are still on 6 now but it's not about testing the browser, they're testing all the internal web apps which are needed by the business far more than youtube.

Tags: Add Tags