1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google's Chrome OS gets official launch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 Nov 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Downloading the VMware version now. This should be interesting.

3. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

MUST have an SSD? Odd.

4. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

No pics of the interface?

5. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

SSD only = pro.

6. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

7. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Interesting video! Having no native apps I can never see this being the only OS on a machine... great for dual boot though as you can have your usual OS (win, osx, linux) for day to day stuff then ChromeOS for those times you just need net, and want it fast!!

8. TWeaK

TWeaK Guest

I'd like to install this on my girlfriend's eee-pc but the SSD requirement is annoying. Will have to try it on my dad's laptop when he comes to visit I guess.

Anyone know why you need an SSD? Hopefully someone will hack out the requirement - at least it's open source

9. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I guess it saves Google worrying about defragging hard disks, plus they can optimise the OS for a storage device that will likely be dominant in years to come.
    Plus if everything is cloud based, including saved files, people won't need large HDD's. Very small SSD (like the ones on the original Eee PC) can be used instead.

10. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

This wasn't the launch event, it's a year away from launch. Why has almost no-one managed to report on this event correctly, even the press at the event asking question were wondering if you could install other browsers, android apps, etc. Were they even awake during the presentation.

11. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Thank **** it's open source so someone will remove the stupid limitation to SSD only.
    Well, sure, ulow power will be SSD-only devices pretty soon and they are the future but this limitation basically killed 90% of the netbook market already. Then again, I think this OS is meant to be sold pre-installed on new ultra-super-portable devices [<8" displays] so they won't care too much about this.

In the end it's just another bit of software Google uses to advertise their brand and to gain more market share in their main markets...

edit:
    I guess they will offer Google Gears to make your private files available to you while you're not online. Otherwise their concept is flawed in my eyes.

12. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

There is no limitation to SSD only, as they said in the preview, they will only officially support devices that pass vendor certification and they see no need to bother with HDD's as the devices it's initially targeted at simply won't use them.

Also, every bit of data that syncs with the cloud is also cached locally and apps through gears will still function without a net connection, they just won't be able to update the cloud.

And it is in no way designed for <8" devices, as they said at the announcement they believe current 10" netbooks don't give enough of a quality user experience so they are looking at for factors that can provide a full sized keyboard.

13. Skorchio

Skorchio What's a Dremel?

Downloading now :)

14. perplekks45

Yet they said netbook, and netbooks are <=10", bigger is ultra-portable/sub-notebook.
    And to be honest, I don't see this challenging Windows on better-specced notebooks.

15. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

That's because it's not meant too. And they only said netbooks for now as we get other form factors into market.

16. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

You act like my computer is ever fully turned off or that win7 pro doesn't boot up in under a minute on an intel 80 SSDg2

17. perplekks45

Still instant-on machines are nice.

New form factors like tablets? There aren't too many possibilities left: <7" smart phones, 8"-10" netbooks, 11"-13" sub-notebooks, 14"+ notebooks.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong [as usual].

18. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

to clarify, Microsoft says netbooks are 10" or less. No one else does.

19. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

A very good question asked at the event was "Will Chrome OS allow you to print?". Some may regard that an obvious question, but it's actually very relevant. Google cannot expect dozens of manufacturers to release drivers just for their OS.

Anyway, Idan Avraham said "you will be able to print, but we'll take a more innovative approach". Any guesses as to what this may be?

Could any Linux users tell me if it's possible that Google could 'hack in' support for Linux printer drivers?

20. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

:confused: Linux has perfectly usable printer drivers for most printers

Tags: Add Tags