1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Goovies: Why games'n'movies don't mix

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 28 Nov 2006.

1. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I thought AVP was a worth the watch sort of film..not that bad at all.

A cool film would be Star Wars: KoToR 1. That has an awesome story line. The whole spin off star wars thing might be an issue though. An animated or CGI film could fit it quite nicely...hopefully preventing any hissy fits from star wars fans.

Max Payne could be very very cool indeed..

2. Sphering

Sphering New Member

Yes was wondering about why Tomb Raider wasn't mentioned myself... I for one liked the movies.

3. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

My prize winning game > movie idea: Space Quest - well not Space Quest itself - just the Astro-Chicken min-game from SQ4 :lol:

4. stoff3r

stoff3r New Member

i too liked AVP the movie. i laughed a lot though, like when she got friends with the predator, and earned it's respect. it was lol.

anyway. my suggestion would bee Condemned: criminal origins. i loved that game and think it has potential for a movie. allthough the storyline wasn't so exiting, the game atleast was :eeek:

edit: my english like yoda speaks is!

5. plug_in_ross

plug_in_ross New Member

I think, in an odd way, that these "goovies" are damaging the games industry. There are a lot of people out there who don't play games, whether it's on the PC or on a console. Then there may come a time where they might want to try them out. During that time, they could go see a "goovie", possibly thinking to themselves, "this should give me a good idea if the game is good or not". After seeing this particular "goovie", they will more than likely walk away disappointed, and not want to touch gaming in general. Sounds stupid, but hopefully some of you get what I mean.

As for some games to make into films, a good one would be an adaptation of the Myst games, however it would need to have some sort of horror element to it for it to work well. Even though it would probably be quite shocking, I can imagine someone in the near future making a GTA film.

But hey, if we want to go overboard, how about film adaptations of Tetris, Guitar Hero, Rez, Ikaruga, Trauma Centre, and Hitman! No wait, Hitman could actually work...

6. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

If you liked the AvP film, do yourself a favour and read the 1st AvP book

7. Aankhen

Aankhen New Member

GAH. Why don't they just remove the turtle and the elephants because they're so unrealistic? And while they're at it, maybe the Discworld should become a proper Sphereworld, so that people can identify with it.
    Never seen them myself, obviously, so I'll take your word for it. It still seems like heresy to me, though. :p

8. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

i believe this the reason they pulled hell out of Doom, because american audiences have a huge religious percentage, they felt that Hell would be too shocking and anti-religious. i dont know the whole truth on this, but it was on th imdb forums by someone who saw a guest screening

9. saeghwin

saeghwin New Member

I thought the Final Fantasy Spirits Within Movie was really good, not to mention the new Final Fantasy 7 spinoff movie. They were both really intriguing and well done in my opinion, the latter more than the former though.

10. Chuff_72

Chuff_72 New Member

They ARE making a Discworld movie, unfortunately they are starting with Wee Free Men, which is part of the "childrens" Discworld collection, along with Morris and his Amazing Rodents, and a Hatfull of Sky. The good news is that it's being made by Sam Raimi (I can really see Bruce Campbell turning up as Rincewind :hehe: ). But, will he have the time to explain the world the story takes place in... I'm guessing not, so maybe we really will see the Discworld without the Turtle and Elephants... :waah:

11. Chuff_72

Chuff_72 New Member

The Chronicles of Riddick: EFBB, while not a direct movie to game translation, is an absolutely fantastic fps, also the man Vin is staring in a new movie/game combo called The Wheelman, which looks fairly average, but I have high hopes that the game turns out well as his studio Tigron (who produced Butcher Bay) is attached to it.

Plus nobody has mentioned Street Fighter: The Animated Movie (not the shite ADV one) which rocked! It even had Korn on the soundtrack! (Notice how I didn't mention Chun Li naked in the shower... Damn it!)

12. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I quite enjoyed the Wee Free Men, in fact I've just finished reading the latest one Wintersmith. Crivens! Ya jus' canna beat the Nac Mac Feegle :D

13. Zayfod

Zayfod New Member

I was going to point you at them on Amazon Canada, but they appear to be a bit out of print at the moment. However if you have friends or relatives in Europe Play have the box set for £15; unless of course the grey market for DVDs also goes towards north America as well as away from it.

YouTube does come up trumps with a few clips from Soul Music, and the seven minute intro to Reaper Man that Cosgrove hall did as a test piece.
    Test Into, Music with Rocks in, Concert in Scrote, Death and the Swami, Student?!

Bruce Campbell? As Rincewind?! Far too heroic looking! A Feegle maybe...

14. dire_wolf

dire_wolf Last Of The Dovakhiin

Chuff_72 - Hogfather is showing on skyone this chrimbo if you didn't already know :D

15. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

with David Jason as Albert no less. Oh, and that bloke from Hustle/Game On as Mr. Teatime .

16. lepre

lepre Member

C&C Renegade!
    you have good (gdi), evil (nod) and protagonist Havoc! :D

17. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

it would probably be piss annoying.. but.. a Deus Ex movie, where you choose a different action via the remote control, like an interactive movie, so everytime you watched it, it would be different. But, like i said.. itd be piss annoying to have to keep choosing an action, and filming would take years

18. Zayfod

Zayfod New Member

Do you really want to return to the early days of CD-ROM games? With the endless amounts of badly made "full motion video" distributed across a dozen discs?

19. speedfreek

speedfreek New Member

It felt like a cheap action movie so it should be able to move very easily to an actual movie.

20. wak

wak New Member

Nooooooooooo! Turkish from Snatch and the transporter Jason something!

Tags: Add Tags