1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Govanator goes anti-violence!

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Malvolio, 9 Oct 2005.

1. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed a bill Friday that would ban the sale or rental of especially violent video games to children, setting up a legal showdown with the $25 billion industry.

And, agreeing to regulate an industry he has been closely allied with, Schwarzenegger also signed legislation that would ban the use of many sports supplements for high school athletes and require coaches to take a class educating them about supplements...

...The video game bill, which takes effect Jan. 1, prohibits the sale and rental of video games to children that depict serious injury to human beings in a manner that is especially heinous, atrocious, or cruel. The video games most often show violence in the first-person, meaning the person playing the game is committing the action.

Want a Link?

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Damn right, Arnie! On both accounts.

3. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

is this arni admiting he took "spots supliments" too boost his muscle?

I thought it was all natural!

4. Henchman:crg

Henchman:crg New Member

Considering most Americans are watching 18 rated violence films in the cinema's at the age of 6 and up, I don't think this is gonna make any difference.

I know, I lived there for 18 months, its the norm, in Ohio anyway

5. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

i doubt it'll make much real world difference, but its still the right move.
    Here in the UK we have games fully certificated just like films, its common sense.

6. dom_

dom_ --->

indeed. an 18 rated game means. its for 18 and over. totally pointless if they have no power behind it.

go arnie!

7. Nexxo

Nexxo Stopped treating this country as if it was his own

Actually Arnie has some interesting points to make about aggression and violence depiction in action films (yes, really) in his film "Last Action Hero".

Unfortunately that film was too clever for most people to get the point (or perhaps people didn't expect there to be one in what they thought was going to be another Arnie action movie), and it tanked. However I think it was incredibly clever. You just have to read between the lines, so to speak...

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I think it was either too clever or too mundane - didnt strike the balance to appeal to everyone.

Hench - R17 must be the most pointless classification on earth.

9. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Well now that I'm 18, it won't affect me in the slightest (on the offchance I travel the three thousand miles to cali), but IMO it's the right move. At least you should have less idiotic parents complaining that they goverment should do their job for them.

That said, all the local stores have an 18+ policy for M-rated games (which only require you to be 17 per the box) so it's no different. It's really just a case of CYA of you ask me.

For movies it's the same, most local theatres check ID if you're not with a parent. It's not a legal thing, just CYA policies. Actually, maybe it is a legal thing with movies, dunno. The video store I work at has a "permanent R-OK" thing, so if parents don't care that their 13-yr-old rents an R movie, it's on file, and if they can't, it's also noted (and will pop-up when their account is accessed).

I still blame every single issue that's ever came up on poor parenting, but if nothing else this should cut down complaints. And I'm far more worried about games getting an AO rating (and then not being sold anywhere as a result, because most stores just refuse to carry them) than about some nutcase trying to hijack my car because he played GTA:SA. This way it should be "the parent knows or they don't have it". Of course, the subjectivity behind determining an "especially violent" game irks me a bit, but common sense goes a long way there, and I think there will be at least a 95% correlation between an M rating (for violance, not language/sex/innuendo/etc) and... would it be EV?

10. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

I believe the law in Virginia is that you can only purchase a M-rated game if you're 17 or older. Or maybe it's just Best Buy's policy.

Either way, it's probably a good idea, although I'm wouldn't be too fond of having to bring my mom or dad everytime I want an M-rated game. If I'm allowed to drive a machine that can kill someone at 16, why can't I play a video game where I can drive a machine that can kill someone? :rolleyes:

Doesn't really bother me in the slightest though, as I never buy video games anyway. :p

11. Altron

Altron Well-Known Member

In New Jersey it's illegal for people under 17 to buy M-Rated games also. It seems kind of pointless - In NJ to drive a car by yourself you need to be 17. If you are under 17, you need someone over 17 to drive you to the store, and that person can then buy the game. If you are over 17, you can drive to the store and buy the game. Or just buy it online where they can't check your age.

I don't really get the whole games making kids violent thing. If anything, games make me not violent. When I need to vent, I don't pick fights, I go on my PC and slaughter zombies and aliens and undead and stuff.