1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Government under fire over Draft Communications Data Bill

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 15 Jun 2012.

1. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

Or they think the government shouldn't spend billions on something that is unlikely to actually help much at all, and sets a precedent for government snooping.

Look at the estimated cost of implementation, and then look at what is gained. If I understand correctly, this isn't actually information the police couldn't get before, the bill will just make it so they don't need a warrant to access the information, and ISP's will have to restructure their email systems in order to make this info readily available. This isn't a new crime fighting tool, it's a shortcut through some red tape. In exchange for £1.8 billion, police can dodge a little bureaucracy, and all the criminals and terrorists who apparently can be instantly caught by knowing who they exchanged emails with and when, will have to...

Oh wait, this whole thing still relies on the investigator's finding the criminal's (probably secret) email address?

2. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Billions of dollars to monitor Joe Blogs email? Seems a bit stupid, you'd have a to be a pretty useless criminal to be discussing things over email...

3. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

This is making my brain hurt. It's clear that VipersGratitude has got tongue firmly in cheek here, but it's less clear whether Carl, and therefore Law99, have as well. I have confuze.

4. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I always ignore everything that comes after "protect children". That is an excuse that is overused and almost appears to be an excuse you can't argue against otherwise you're a bad person. For a bill like this we need a lot more justification than simply to "protect children".

5. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Holy thread resurrection!

Watched this on TED today, which totally validates my opinion on the topic

Tags: Add Tags