1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks GPRS Modem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by liquid_gen, 13 Oct 2007.

1. liquid_gen

liquid_gen What's a Dremel?

Does anyone know if theres a sort of GPRS modem that i can plug into a USB slot on my laptop so that i can access the internet on my laptop when i have no WLANs available?
    Im pretty sure ive seen similar things for HSDPA but i need it to be GPRS as im pretty sure the service provider over here doesn't offer HSDPA. Aslo the HSDPA modem i saw was by Vodafone and i therefore assume it only works with Vodafone networks. However, i would need one that is "open" and can be used with any service provider (assuming they offer GPRS).
    Thanks in advance guys

2. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

Who is your provider?
    USB modems can be quite expensive but if you can use a PCMCIA card it will be cheaper.
    Here are two:
    Here and Here

As long as the modem you get is unlocked you will be fine. You can even use the HSDPA/3G/EDGE ones. They are just different levels of connections but the cards are auto-switching so they will always pick the best speed. They are backwards compatible so no worries.

Tags: