1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GPU pad thickness. Again.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 20 Jun 2021.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I have typed this thread up about five times now. Such is my mental state that I just end up rambling about bugger all and it is all far too long winded lol.

I've got a GPU on water I really want on air. However, due to the cack thermal pads (rather stringy mess) Gigabyte fitted the guy I bought it from threw them away. So I have a card on water, see pic.

[​IMG]

But I want it back on air. See pic.

[​IMG]

I bought it during the "Oh look how amazing the 3070 is, cheap GPUs for all !" rush for £480. Bonkers, because the guy paid £1400 for it two months previous.

However, as I say, no pads. The cooler is mint he never used it. Now. I know with some cards *cough Asus and MSI DODGY AS BALLS COUGH* that sometimes they run a big ole pad into the fins that actually does little. As such it's usually balls. However, from what I can make out Gigabyte did not commit that crime. This is how the card looks with the cooler off (only mine doesn't as it has no pads lol)

[​IMG]

As you can see, it has a proper full contact plate. As such the pads are very thin. Now. I have no idea how thin. I do know that they all look to be pretty dang thin though. The only thing I could really think of was to go on EK and look at what they tell you to use with a WB. That turned up this.

[​IMG]

I have ordered two 140x140mm pads. One in 1mm, one in 0.5. Cost me twenty bloody quid or more !

So, I probably sound daft saying this (like I said my mental state is very bad right now) if some of them are say, 1.5mm (which I doubt looking at the contact plate) I can always fudge 0.5 and 1mm together right?

BTW I am not asking this stuff so I can sell the GPU. I don't want to sell it, I just want an upgrade from the 2070S I am using ATM, which does not have the chops to run PUBG as I like it and still go like a bat out of hell like it does on my 2080Ti Kingpin. It's rather jarring to continually switch rigs and find that one is not as quick as the other. If that makes sense. It feels really strange on the 2070s.

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

You can stack the pads - it increases the chance of an air pocket trapped between them, but likely not big enough to survive the clamping pressure and still cause a significant issue.

I recently bought some 12.8 W/mK pads when replacing the stock ones on my 3090s - they ain't cheap but performance is stellar.

3. Vault-Tec

Thanks David !. I'm not after stellar performance tbh. I haven't even overclocked the 2070s as I just can't be arsed. I think I am finally getting old ! I just want it to work on air, as you will see with the next thread I post.....

4. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

stacked pad's are not "optimal" but its 100x better than an air gap ... and its better to squish a thick pad than hope a thin pad makes the gap

5. Vault-Tec

Thankfully the areas are all visible from above the card once it is put together, so I can see if they have made it etc. I don't want to use pads that are too thick, as last time I did that the GPU bowed and broke contacts. Though that was extremely too thick, but yeah nightmares of that :D

6. Vault-Tec

Well, it's a good thing I didn't trust the EK stuff. That's for their block obviously, where they are trying to save material. Turns out they were 1mm and 1.5mm, so with the pads that were on the WB when I removed it and some 1mm pads from the RAM coolers I will no longer be using the card is now back together and booting. Not done any heat tests yet, as I am just making a USB boot stick.

[​IMG]

7. Vault-Tec

Well I installed Windows. Idle temps were OK. As soon as I ran Superposition the fans went to 100% and the temp was 85c. The memory temp was 95. So I shut it down and took it apart.

I think the memory pads are too thick @ 1mm. Will change those to 0.5 when they arrive.

8. Vault-Tec

9. Vault-Tec

Right, I made some progress.

Cleaned off all of the thermal paste, then put the card together. Found a piece of tablet plastic (like the stuff paracetamol comes in) and measured it with the vernier. 0.45mm. Put it between the memory and cold plate and I could feel drag. OK, so I am now 90% sure that area needs 0.5mm, and this is where I went wrong.

I then fitted pieces of 1mm to the rest and assembled the card again, and again once the card was together there was no gaps in anything. That means EK's instructions are the same for the air cooler as their block. Which means that they copied the air cooler verbatim with their machining for their block.

Meaning Barrow did not. Possibly to save machine time? IDK. Their channels are shallower and certain areas of the block used 0.5mm pads. Which is where I got the bits from. Sadly not enough to do all of the memory, so I will have to wait until my sheets arrive /impatient :D

10. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Assuming that's publically visible you could try telling them it's already out of warranty, and pulling the e-waste reduction card, plus throw in a few quotes from their own CSR literature for good measure.

https://www.gigabyte.com/CSR

Core values of "honesty and practicality" could get some mileage.

11. Vault-Tec

That was their response on Linus Tech Tips forum.

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully it won't come to that.