1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GPU underclocking and crashing

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Lankuzo, 6 Oct 2009.

1. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

Hey guys im stumped with this.

I have a GTX285 by PNY and im having problems with it. Its currently running with a 400Mhz core clock and wont budge any higher no matter what i run. It runs fine for about 20mins at its correct speed then crashes to desktop and shows 400Mhz or less.
    Ive been using Precision tool which shows GPU temp and fps in the corner and it never goes above 70c so its not over heating.

Its only been playing up this last 2months, I recon its driver related but no mater how many times i uninstall drivers and reinstall different ones it just gets worse or stays the same.

i only really play cod4 and waw.

Anyone help..

Please
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. doggeh

doggeh New Member

400MHz core and 300MHz memory sound like the 2D clock settings which the card would revert to once out of the game, i.e when you're viewing the desktop and GPU-Z.

The card will automatically clock up to its full speed when a 3D app is running. To check that your card is doing this properly enable "Log to file" in GPU-Z and run a game for a few minutes then check the log file to see if the core and memory clock speeds increased.

If this test shows that your card is working correctly it's possible that the crashes are caused by something else entirely (CPU overclock perhaps?) and the gfx card simply reverts back to its 2D clock immediately once viewing the desktop (like it is supposed to).

EDIT - also you mention that games run fine for about 20mins... this strongly implies that the clock frequencies DO automatically increase otherwise you'd certainly notice impaired performance in the games before the crashes occur

3. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

ok i new all that anyway but thanks. I had taken my cpu clock down to its standard so its not cpu releted. I dont understand why after 20mins it crashes and refuses to go back up to the mhz its suposed to be at. the precision tool shows what the gpu is running at and it stays at 400..

4. thehippoz

thehippoz New Member

you might be able to check it by going into the nvidia control panel and (if you have dual monitors or TV + monitor) set them to single and then back to dual view- it should jump up to 3d speeds in dual view..

I don't know what driver your running but you can try the whql off nvidia's site.. probably the driver, I remember this happening with my 260 with a newer set of drivers when I was running 785 clk- like some sort of safe mode.. sucked if you were testing high oc's.. I went back to the older drivers here, you can plug away as high as you want

guess that's the way it's meant to be played nowdays.. maybe a way to disable it I'm not sure- basically your card is erroring.. running too hot/bad power/too fast, and the driver kicks it into that mode.. protecting you from yourself I guess :eek:

5. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

thanks but that doesnt seem to help. It just refuses to go back up to 648mhz even when i try to play crysis and thats a brute so it knows i want more juice..

Does anyway know a fix for this?

6. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

power supply issue? as in lack of effective wattage?

7. Jejking

Jejking Who's the man?

I agree with Confusis, tell us a bit more please about your PSU. What brand, which type, how many watts?

8. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

his sig says Kingwin 900w.. never heard of that brand
    prolly 900w max not the correct rating

9. thehippoz

thehippoz New Member

it's driver related from what I've seen.. but sure replace all those parts and come back when it's still doing it XD