1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GPU Update time (not by choice)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LukeDaly, 13 Jan 2015.

1. LukeDaly

LukeDaly Pokemon Master

Hey guys,

Haven't been around for a while due to being on my placement year at uni so I am a bit out of the loop when it comes to hardware..

Any way unfortunately one of my 3GB 580's died last night and rather than buy another I think I am going to sell the second and go for an upgrade! I now have 2x Dell u2711 with the intentions of getting another. On some games the 580's struggled to play at ULTRA and that is something that I would love to be able to do again.

I am looking at 970's and 980's at the minute and I am wondering if they will be able to max games out at 2560x1440? Would I be better with a single 980 or a 970 (possibly x2 970's) as far as I know triple 1440p gaming is still difficult with decent fps so that's pretty much out of the question.

is the improvement of a 980 over a 970 worth the extra cash or would I be able to reach the same performance with an overclock?

I am still rocking the 2700k on the maximus iv extreme z, will this bottleneck new cards?

Sorry for so many questions, I feel like a noob all over again haha!

Thanks guys,
    Luke! :rock:

2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

A pair of 970s in SLI will see you right :thumb:

Plus - a 2700K and an Extreme-Z is still very capable, especially OCd. Plus, the 970s are a bit 'greener' than 580s!

3. LukeDaly

LukeDaly Pokemon Master

Hey man thanks for such quick reply, yeah I thought that was the best value for money option. They should perform a decent bit better than my 580's also? And im sorry to be a pest but how much is in it between a 970 and 980? Would it be reasonable to say an overclock could give the same performance?

Thanks!

4. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

No worries! There's not a huge gap between 970 and 980 performance, and given the price difference between the two, I'd be going for a pair of 970s (despite the e-peen of a pair of 980s).

Have a look at this thread for more details on the 970, the 970 v. the 980, and other useful stuff! Saves me regurgitating it haha!

Oh, and yes. A pair of 970s will be somewhat faster than a pair of 580s! :D

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

One of the biggest draws of the 980 over the 970 (for me) was the performance per watt, which at single screen resolutions is nigh-on identical to the 750Ti - widely acclaimed as the most efficient GPU ever made.

The 970 is second in line, and you're right that with a keen overclock it can snap at the heels of a stock 980, but as with every generation of Nvidia cards, the 980 is an overclocking beast in its own right (think around 20% core and about 10-15% memory), meaning that it can come close to and in many cases overtake the last generation dual card beasts whilst sipping a fraction of the power. Although the 295X2 is still out in the lead if you need a space heater...

Having said all that the prices for the 980 have gone a bit silly since launch, with a stock EVGA 980 SC now tipping the scales at a ludicrous £508 on Scan - a full £100 more than I paid for the same card last September!

With that in mind, the 970 is the only logical choice now unless a) money is no object, and/or b) you value your epeen. ;)

EDIT: I should probably add, the Nvidia stock cooler is epic, and was another BIG olive branch when I was shopping for new last year.

Last edited: 13 Jan 2015
  6. LukeDaly

LukeDaly Pokemon Master

Thanks for the comment man, do you think I would be better of with 2x970's OC'd or a single 980 OC'd? Keeping in mind I am running multiple monitors and intend on adding a third u2711. I do value my epeen but I cant afford to drop over £1000 on cards when I could get myself two EVGA 970 Cheesecake ACX with water blocks for cheaper, as far as I can remember the Cheesecake cards have a decent overclocking potential? In saying that I have never actually overclocked a GPU, I did get my 2700k to 5Ghz though :D Besides epeen only lasts until the next generation anyway haha!

Thanks, Luke.

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

This is one of those few times that I suggest SLI.

The 980 is barely faster than the 970 - and if the toss up is between two 970s or one 980 the answer is easy - two 970s. It'll blast the single 980 out of the water and then some.

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

^ Totally this ^

I was lucky. I wasn't going to settle for anything less than a stock "Titan" cooler on my card, so my only options at the time were a £335 OCUK special 970 with stock cooler, or a 980. I managed to bag the latter for just £415 delivered.

Given that this gave me ~15% better performance and 69% more e-peen for 24% more money, and it was a long term purchase, I was happy with that trade-off. But for over £500, they're having a laugh.

9. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Why not just look at one of the custom cooler versions from someone? Just over £400 then for a 980. I say 'just' even though £400 is a lot of money, more than I can afford on a GPU, or anything. But it's still £100 cheaper than the stock cooler cards. If I were spending the money I'd go for the 970's, just because of the large gap in price. Two 970's for just over £500. You could add a third later on, your PSU and motherboard would take it (I think). Not that the benefits of tri-SLI are that great...