1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GPUs with high max texture sizes? (to enable more 256x/512x textures in Minecraft)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mauvecloud, 23 Dec 2014.

1. mauvecloud

mauvecloud What's a Dremel?

With vanilla Minecraft 1.7.10, my current rig can handle a 512x texture pack (Sphax's PureBDCraft), but if I try to use Optifine connected textures, run Minecraft 1.8, or add resource packs for mods, I get a StitcherException unless I use lower-resolution resource packs.

I found out when I asked at the Minecraft forums that this is caused by the texture atlases going over the max texture size of my gpu, which is 16384x16384 (I have two GTX 780s).

Since then, I have been wondering what graphics cards have higher max texture sizes, but that detail doesn't seem to be listed in the manufacturer specs. I haven't have much luck asking about this at another hardware site, so I thought I'd try here. Does anybody here know of graphics cards (available in the US) with max texture size of 32k x 32k or higher?

2. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

It is possible to query the max texture size on Nvidia GPUs from within CUDA, and I'm afraid all modern cards, even the latest ones, have a max mippmapped texture size of 16k x 16k (with 2048 layers).

Although those also have a non mipmapped 2d texture size of 65k x 65k. From googling AMD appear to have the same limit.

All I can suggest is you compromise on one of those, It wouldn't be very practical for GPU's to have max texture sizes higher than that as the amount of data needing to be moved would be prohibitively large. (bare in mind an uncompressed 16k x 16k bitmap, float (4bpp) with RGB channels would be ~3GB)

You can keep an eye out for any changes in this on new cards by looking for people reporting their "Maximum Layered 2D Texture Size " with current cards reporting "(num) layers 2D=(16384, 16384), 2048 layers" :thumb: