1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Grand Theft Auto IV

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 13 May 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2008/05/13/grand-theft-auto-iv/1

Grand Theft Auto IV has landed and we've all finally been let loose in Liberty City. It was billed as one of the best games ever made even before release, but now we have a chance to see for ourselves and make our own minds up - check out our thoughts in our detailed review.

:thumb:

2. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Yay, one of the first reviews that I've seen that didn't give it a totally over-the-top 10/10 :)

3. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I'd give it an 8 :p

And yes, I agree, the graphics are acceptable, but nothing to make you go "wow"

4. evanbraakensiek

evanbraakensiek What's a Dremel?

Grand Theft Auto (GTA) has never been about the graphics, it's and has always been substance over style.

What's the actual depth of geographical area like? One of the things which struck me about GTA: San Andreas, was the huge expansion of distinctly different areas in comparison to the previous games. I apolgise if you mentioned it in the review, but I did only just briefly skim over, I'd be interested to know how GTA IV compares to San Andreas' in this respect.

Love the front page image, very distinct and GTA like.

5. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

That was quite a harsh review, I mean fair, but wow. Everyone else just seems to be gushing about it and don't even bring up any downsides, whereas this was mostly downsides then saying it's worth getting anyway.
    The too much to do comment was interesting, since you like Oblivion Joe? To me Oblivion is more overwhelming than a GTA game, and I enjoy it a lot less because I feel a need to be more closely tied to a story in a RPG.
    Just waiting on the PC version...
    Sigh at it not even being announced yet, but I guess that's console exclusitivity for you.

6. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

I love the SP and MP but the framerate makes me put it down after an hour orso, I could easily play it for 5 hours straight if I didnt feel sea sick...

7. Pricester

Pricester What's a Dremel?

I've noticed that on my PS3, the graphics are for the most part fine (although I really get bored by all the brown). What really surprised me was the almost complete lack of anti-aliasing... particularly noticeable on car bodies...

Is there a setting somewhere I've missed? Has my PS3 perhaps decided to run at 640x480 without telling me, despite the HDMI and 1080p TV? I've not seen any comments about this anywhere else, so I have a feeling it is just me...

8. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The PS3 runs at a lower image resolution and uses a poorer software scaling method to make it HD (720p or 1080p)

The 360 runs slightly higher (620p) and has a more advanced hardware scaling method which produces less lag (not my words)

9. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

^ I thought the Xbox ran a 720p, but with less filters and effects. The PS3 is supposed to run at 620p (or something close).

10. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

11. bowman

bowman Minimodder

If you think this is harsh, look at Anandtech.

I'll wait for the PC version, thank you very much.

12. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I like Oblivion, but I think there was a big difference in approach there. Oblivion gave you a big world, dumped you out of the sewers and said 'ENJOY!', so you had your own time to go around and explore things. GTA introduces you to the game over several missions in the full world though - theres no fenced off area where you can get to grips with things without being exposed to the overwhelming stuff. In Oblivion the sewers let you do this, but in GTA you see all this distracting stuff which keeps mounting up in your mind while you're still being introduced to the basics - then you add the stuff you have to absorb from the first missions on top of that too.

The thing is, in Oblivion when you're dumped outside you have a big world to explore. You don't know what's out there really other than cities you can fast travel to if you want, so you choose a direction and set off. There's no quick way to get around, so you're allowed (nay, forced) to discover the side content and extra stuff at your own pace.

In GTA, it's different. By the time the game properly starts you know that there are all these clubs, tv shows, mini-games, sidequests, random encounters, radio shows, internet cafes, hidden cars and quests, pigeons to hunt down weapons to find. With all the main quests on top AND the desire to play in the sandbox over-riding everything. You know all this stuff exists and you know where most of it is - but that knowledge is overwhelming and can hold you back when it comes to actually playing. In Oblivion, all you'd have is the knowledge that 'stuff' is out there and the urge to explore, which I find a lot more enticing, if less funny and engaging.

13. PhenomRed

PhenomRed What's a Dremel?

Review was a little late, but I'll put that down to the fact you wanted to do a proper review instead of rushing one out...

Good review though, and a proper score too. Other reviews i've read are all "10/10" or "11/10" and although i love the game, your review is more accurate than those ones.

14. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

GTA > Portal. Portal is one of the most over-rated games ever!

15. alastor

alastor Minimodder

You should know he's a grumpy git by now :p

I'd agree with the 9/10, it definitely isn't perfect. Although it does seem to be more of the same as with the GTA3 series (3, VC, SA), missions are similar etc, I think the storyline is a lot more involving. It's not going to win any oscars but to me it's a decent improvement. The graphics are good enough for me as well, first time flying over the city in a chopper was a wow moment.

16. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Page 3 - para 10 - 'Besides, most of the time you’ll be just be cruising around' - remove 'be'.

The minigames could do with some exciting-ness injected into them. I was expecting to be dealing blows with a pool cue at one point but alas, the pool minigame is just 'barely' that. There are a lot of textures that are a little low detailed, although there has been a couple of times where it's looked fairly realistic. The city lights at night are impressively done.

I got a very similar impression when I first started, Joe - I thought it didn't look as sharp as any other PS3 game.. as if it was displaying at a lower res. However, after playing for a while, it's fairly forgivable as the frame rate (for me, so far) hasn't faltered.

The script has had me literally laughing out loud, there's been some genuinely funny moments and I'm not even a third of the way through the game. It's very engaging, too - one thing about previous GTA titles has been the fact that the missions have never really felt as necessary to do as in this fourth installment. I could cruise around San Andreas on a BMX bike, on a tractor or in a tank for an afternoon, not do any missions, and feel like I'd been playing the game properly. With GTA IV, I feel the missions are now part of the game.

17. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

Went round my mates on the weekend as he had gta4 there, i was the only person out of 3 geeks that said the graphics werent amazing, my mates curelinious and felixthecat were loving them, i just didnt feel it. The game is awesome though, crash a car into a wall or pillar and watch the dirty serb fly through the front windscreen of the car, or crash a bike and see that dude fly in the air like superman, it is funny and the added realism in crashes and with the blood etc as pointed out in the review do bring the game up to date.

note: does the car handling change with experience or anything, as they were just awful as jo described in the review?

great article, a little short i felt, but thats just me,

peace

fatman

18. fwalm

fwalm Minimodder

I am very tempted to bring it back, I just don't like it, graphics aren't great and what you said I agree on. Wouldn't even really give it a 9.

19. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I agree the graphics are weak, when you look at what Burnout paradise can do with an open world then this looks really poor.

Still its decent fun.

20. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

You obviously haven't been up in a chopper at night seeing the entire city. There's much more to graphics than it being shiny, I'd much rather have it is now than have better graphics but a cloud of dust obscuring my view.

It is pretty much GTAIV in a new engine and a few useless features cut from SA, feels a lot more polished than the other instalments, but then it was never really going to be revolutionary. I'd say 8/10 is a good score for it, that's pretty good from me.

Tags: Add Tags