1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Grand Theft Auto V

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Quuwahi, 30 Oct 2012.

1. Deders

Deders Modder

Have you managed to get Flawless Widescreen to work properly with his game so that cut scenes don't have black bars?

Also anyone who wants to use Triple Buffering with Vsync on a Nvidia card, enable them both in the GTAV profile in the control panel and disable Vsync in game.

2. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Totally forgot about that! It's only annoying because they begin in fullscreen, so you do suddenly notice when they get cut down to 16:9. Have never heard of that software though, probably because everything up to this point has worked fine for me, or at most required an obvious little .ini file edit.

I'm not even mad though, everything else makes up for it.

I guess also, especially for those of us with 34" monitors, there is a 1520 pixel width increase over 1920, so R* couldn't guarantee what appeared on-screen in what is effectively almost double the console max width, without reviewing all the cutscene content?

3. Deders

Deders Modder

I thought they did the same thing for Dragon Age: Inquisition but the Flawless Widescreen patch that allowed you to see cutscenes in full ultrawide didn't show anything it shouldn't have. It just made them more awesome. Hopefully they will find a way to do it soon.

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Has anyone had any issues binding mouse buttons? I wanted to set middle as reload and one of my side mouse buttons for cover, but get no response at all.

EDIT: Ignore me, I was being a spanner

5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Not sure if i lost connection to a server, i think i was playing with Otis so he might be able to have some input but basically every single person left the game and i never got an invite

Maybe i missed a trick or maybe like i say i lost connection but stayed in game?

Weird

6. Auxilliary

Auxilliary Crashes into space stations

Well since I have been playing it, ive had 2 or 3 games where there is a few people in the game but otherwise im on my own, cant connect to any quick jobs either?

7. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

I was playing with more than 13 people online then all of a sudden each one straight after the other left the game?

I was left in a playable game but with no players?

8. Auxilliary

Exactly what happened to me, and now I seem to be permanently on my own and cant join quick jobs.

Hopefully it is just the servers having a fit with the load of everyone.

9. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Anybody else getting stutters when you get to intersections? Not major, just very very little ones.

In terms of performance, I've cranked everything right up apart from one water texture setting and it's sitting just under 3000MB. My GTX 780 is coping, with frames ranging from about 29-60 at 2560x1440. Starting to feel the upgrade itch to a 980, but can't justify the £500+ price of a Titan cooled version that my case needs.

10. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Do you mean intersections on the road with more stuff happening? If yea, then I get that too. It's
    game breaking or anything but is noticeable. I don't know what fps I get though as not looked up
    how to show it :D got my 780 JUST over 3000MB mark, around 3100 I think. Works great. But I'm
    only running in 1080.

11. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

been having an awesome time on this, R* have done an amazing job other than a few crash's.
    level 23 wat

12. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

No issues here, and the VRAM is all but maxed out on my 980 at 1080p using the advanced sliders - I knew it'd be possible eventually! It's buttery :baby:

Just had the one display driver crash in my first session yesterday, been rock* solid ever since.

13. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Yep, exactly that. It's as if the game stutters as it loads cars approaching from other directions. Bit concerning you're getting it at 1080p as well, you should be running at higher FPS than me at 1440p. Interesting we are both on 780s and 980 people are saying no problem.

14. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Turns out, it's not just me where the game crashes in SP, same level, same location. Just have to wait to see if anything works to sort it.

Sam

15. Auxilliary

I've gone and fixed mine, by any chance are you using a Big foot networks device? if so, what I did was:

1. Go into the manager and click on 'Applications'
    2. Find 'Grand theft auto V' and Grand theft auto v Launcher'
    3. for me they were set to 1 - Highest priority, change both of these to '2- High'
    4. Go to the Advanced tab and I set the 'Default Application Settings priority to '2' as well.

Since ive done this ive been able to join quick jobs and I can join lobbies with people in.

Hope this is the same problem you are having matey

16. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

Using the NVIDIA optimised settings I'm not getting very good frame rates at all. I keep hearing how fluidly the game's running, on a wide variety of hardware, and I wondered if the NVIDIA settings are just too high or if there's some other issue affecting performance.

I've got an i5 2500K at 4.4GHz, 8GB RAM and a GTX 970. The game's installed on a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO.

The NVIDIA optimised settings are:

Video Memory 3325 MB / 4095 MB

Graphics

Ignore Suggested Limits: On
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Screen Type: Fullscreen
    Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Aspect Ratio: Auto
    Refresh Rate: Auto

FXAA: On
    MSAA: Off
    NVIDIA TXAA: Off (Disabled)
    VSync: On
    Pause Game On Focus Loss: On

Population Density: 100%
    Population Variety: 100%
    Distance Scaling: 100%

Texture Quality: Very High
    Shader Quality: Very High
    Shadow Quality: Very High
    Reflection Quality: Ultra
    Reflection MSAA: Off
    Water Quality: Very High
    Particles Quality: Very High
    Grass Quality: Very High
    Soft Shadows: NVIDIA PCSS
    Post FX: Very High
    Motion Blur Strength: 0%
    In-Game Depth Of Field Effects: On
    Anisotropic Filtering: X16
    Ambient Occlusion: High
    Tessellation: High

Advanced Graphics

Long Shadows: On
    High Resolution Shadows: On
    High Detail Streaming While Flying: On
    Extended Distance Scaling: 100%
    Extended Shadows Distance: 100%​

Running the benchmark with those resulted in the following:

As you can see the minimum frame rate is very low, it's not maintaining a decent average, and in practice the game visibly stutters at times.

I dropped the settings to the game's defaults:

Video Memory 2359MB / 4095 MB

Graphics

Ignore Suggested Limits: On
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Screen Type: Fullscreen
    Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Aspect Ratio: Auto
    Refresh Rate: Auto

FXAA: On
    MSAA: Off
    NVIDIA TXAA: Off (Disabled)
    VSync: On
    Pause Game On Focus Loss: On

Population Density: 100%
    Population Variety: 100%
    Distance Scaling: 100%

Texture Quality: Very High
    Shader Quality: High
    Shadow Quality: High
    Reflection Quality: Very High
    Reflection MSAA: Off
    Water Quality: High
    Particles Quality: High
    Grass Quality: Normal
    Soft Shadows: Soft
    Post FX: Very High
    Motion Blur Strength: 0%
    In-Game Depth Of Field Effects: On
    Anisotropic Filtering: X16
    Ambient Occlusion: High
    Tessellation: High

Advanced Graphics

Long Shadows: Off
    High Resolution Shadows: Off
    High Detail Streaming While Flying: Off
    Extended Distance Scaling: 0%
    Extended Shadows Distance: Disabled​

And ran the benchmark again again:

At these settings the performance is much better but the visuals aren't quite as pretty.

I'll keep experimenting with the graphics options, hopefully I can improve on the defaults a little without knocking the minimums down, but I wondered has anyone else experienced similar issues with the "optimised" settings?

Also if anyone has a similarly spec'd system to mine I'd be interested in seeing benchmarks and settings for comparison.

17. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

According to this the 980 averages at about 20fps higher than the 780 at 1200p - I wonder if that's enough to make a perceptible difference with regards to the minimums and/or the frame times?

18. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Thanks mate but i am not running this.

Not sure what happened but have played OK since. Hoping my experience is a one off, will give it another go after work and see what happens

Cheers

19. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Picked it up yesterday, halved the price by selling off some CSGO skins that I didn't care much more. Seems I was rather lucky and the download finished in under an hour with Steam hovering between 18-19MB/s, not seen that happen before. I guess the main rush had dissipated by last night so things were smooth.

No crashes yet, but I also haven't played that much either. Seems to run really smoothly at 4k with everything I could put on max except AA (and the advanced graphics that seem not that important), which I disabled as I don't think it does much at that res. No doubt I won't be getting constant 60 FPS but it's certainly good enough for me not to notice anything unpleasant. Parts of the game are absolutely beautiful on max settings, notably things like puddles in the road etc. look fantastic. Controls feel a little weird but I'll adapt no doubt.

20. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I've similar spec: i7 2700k at 4GHz, 16GB RAM and GTX 970, game installed on 1TB WD Black, at 2560x1440.

I've noticed I'm getting occasional slow-downs. The game mostly runs smooth, but when the FPS jumps between Vsync 30 and 60, the change in speed of action is very noticeable. I've not tried turning off Vsync yet.

I'll run some benchmarks tonight, but certainly I'm closer to your "nvidia optimized" settings.