1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Grand Theft Auto V

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Quuwahi, 30 Oct 2012.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Yup does look that way, been debating getting a new card as mines a little power hungry and showing its age a bit. This just makes it harder as the AIO im using doesnt support that many Nvidia cards an id like to keep it because its nigh on silent.

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

GTA V shows no issues for me running 3x r290s, runs fine, launches no problem, perhaps some people are running dodgy overclocks?

3. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

I'm a 290X user and I have zero issues though...

That said, I do format, physically clean, and start fresh every three months or so. This is why you need a NAS people... Just set up document redirection and you can reinstall Windows on a client anytime and be fully up and running in minutes!

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Not saying that all AMD cards are going to run in to problems, but if you go back through this thread, those who are having problems (crashes, unable to run etc) are all on AMD GPUs (or at least, I didn't spot any NVIDIA ones). Might mean it can be fixed via driver updates or by R*.

5. techhead

techhead Minimodder

No issues for me running amd 8350 and MSI R280 no problems

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Unlikely to be an overclock, since I don't do that any more. Everything's bone stock and up to date firmware wise.

I might try rolling back to pre-GTA optimised drivers and see what happens if I can be arsed.

I'm starting to suspect driver more than anything, because digging through eventlogs and amdkmdxx.sys is quite often the root of the problem. Game starts, gets to the menu, starts loading story mode and the transition from 2D to 3D causes the driver to crap all over itself.

No other game does it, even with a similar 2D/3D switch after a menu.

I initially suspected crossfire, but without a second card I don't get any different behaviour (Slightly unrelated but equally annoying note: Don't seem to get any different FPS with Xfire, and in fact, some games have higher FPS on single card than double.. Despite supposedly having Xfire profiles).

Maybe it's time to switch to team green and see what they have to offer.

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Actually, I've had a few game crashes. However, after it crashes, it's rock solid for hours. Although the geforce experience FPS counter and shadowplay overlay no longer working.

I'd love to join multiplayer session planned tomorrow, but I've got distant friends coming over tomorrow. Will do next time.

8. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

You might just squeeze enough out of selling your 280s to get a 970. :D

/justsayin' ;)

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Hmmm, sounds odd, I get double scaling with Xfire in GTAV using the betas they released for it, I've not even felt the need to turn on the 3rd card. Most of my games seem to work fine with Xfire, though I normally only run the official drivers, as AMD betas seem like proper betas, bringing reams of issues unlike when I used to run NVidia stuff, I had to make an exception for GTAV.

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

We'll see. I've got ~600 to spend on the RS next month, so GPU changes will almost certainly have to wait!

Yeah, I don't get why my Xfire config seems to be so shitty compared, the cards on their own do excellent jobs and I can't complain about them otherwise!

I've had negative experiences with the AMD beta drivers before, but went for the 15.4b for much the same reasons as you, but we'll see how much I can be arsed over the weekend as to whether I roll back.

11. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Seen shadowplay mentioned as causing problems elsewhere on the net while searching to try and solve my crashes.

Seems to have gotten better for me after turning off MSI Afterburner, apparently the game doesn't like any sort of overlay (not good if you're running the steam version).

12. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Hmmm wonder if thats whats killing mine. I have afterburner lurking on mine most of the time and the TS3 overwolf plugin likes annoying me (keep meaning to remove it) I'll have a nose when im released from the office. Could be something stupid like AMD catalyst screen optomisation crap happening in the background.

13. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I've had issues where Rivatuner Statistics Server outright stopped the game from starting, the launcher would just spin and do nothing. I also have occasional crashes when I quick-restart heists, but I'm not 100% certain that isn't due to my Overclock, I need to sit down and clean it up a touch, but it's too damn hot to be running Prime 95 on my 8120 at the moment.

Currently pretty happy that I've managed to get High textures to work on only a pair of 2GB 670s, it's edging on Vram limit, but it's still nice and smooth with only the barest hint of stutter if I force it to load a lot of textures quickly.

14. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

I AM STUCK :( lol
    I can't seem to progress in the story mode. I have done two heists and had Franklin say stall on third
    heist. All I have for any of the characters is L (lester assassination) for Franklin.
    Nothing seems to be coming up to start the next heist (which I believe some
    Prep has been done for like getting the getaway car/rubbish truck etc).
    There is two people's God awful missions for that Beverly guy (awful waste of time those) and the druggy guy. Do they HAVE to be done? ;/
    Just would seem odd for them to stop story progressing.

15. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Just out of interest, How many people could be online tomorrow evening?

Sam

16. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Should be, unless family get involved

17. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Been waiting to get a table at a restaurant for weeks, it so happens the time I could get was tomorrow evening :(

18. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Was going to say getaway car for that one, as it doesn't appear on the map.
    You've bought the masks and boiler suits?

The assasination missions, have you done the hotel one with Beta and Bilkington as the stock market companies you're influencing?

19. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Nope, I did originally do that hotel assassination but was then told to go back and do all heists first
    then start assassinations so would have max money to invest - makes difference between ending up
    With a few millions or much higher millions.

Yeah got masks and suits etc.

20. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Does anyone else listen to their own music through them game and if so, did you notice a drop in performance? I grew tired of the radio stations pretty quickly so slapped some entombed in there, but it dropped a good 10fps in doing so.